pbwing

Sealing up holes in an Optik Illusion

Hey folks,

I'm going to run the cameye and remote switch inside the helmet and drill holes to access the gear.

I'm guessing it's probably best to seal up the holes again - rather than using gaffers.

Any suggestions on what to use to seal up the holes? I was just thinking a silicon caulking...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Just drill the holes the same size as the diameter of the cable. Cut the cable and force it through the holes and then resplice it back together. If the holes are the same diameter or a micro bit smaller then you shouldn't have to re-seal them at all.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

I just didn't know what would be more 'invasive' - cutting the cables then having to splice them back together, or just cutting larger holes for the lanc connector/5d remote...

Not really knowing the wiring in either cable, how many wires are inside there? 1 in each? or are there multiple wires?

Thanks for the tip!

Bear in mind that if you have the wire tight inside the helmet hole, it's entirely likely that eventually the wire will become worn from the hole and normal wear/vibration/pull. FWIW, my cables are run through the hole in the helmet, holes are polished smooth/free of sharp edges, and then gaffed. If I *really* wanted them sealed, I'd probably use silicone as well, as it would suspend them from the helmet edges.
I'm happy with the small amount of gaffing, as I occasionally have to change out wires. I've gone through 3 Conceptus cables in 600 jumps.:|

Any other suggestions?

I just drill the hole large enough for the 1/8" plug to slide through, then take an appropriate size rubber grommet (available at your local hardware store) and put the plug through the hole in the optik, then though the grommet, then slide the grommet down to the hole and push it in place. I protects the wire and fills up most of the gap.

I agree with the rubber grommet. I've gone through about 3 tongue switches now... thank god I don't have to splice a wire every time another switch shorts out. I switched from having the wire taped to the outside of the helmet to passing it through a rubber grommet last year... much cleaner/nicer. Really easy too.

Dave

When i mounted my CamEye 11, (On my Illusion) i drilled a hole where i wanted it just large enough for the top, outside beveled part of the rubber where the red switch goes through to be pushed through very snugly. I then just attached the bottom of the switch to the top part. Installed the pads, done deal & clean installation with NO WIRE going through any holes in the helmet. If you guys would like to see some pics of it, let me know. Be safe.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"