RossDagley

20d problems

I've just started to jump my 20d (top mounted on a MXv) and it's behaving weirdly. Anyone got any ideas why?

The camera is exposed (no protection from the elements) and is connected via a regular bite switch. The only "different" thing I've done here, is when I got the bite switch it was the jack-pin type (for the 350, 400 etc) not the one for the 1d, 20d, 30d etc) so I modded it as per http://www.adrenalens.com/d60remote.htm

It's got lots of hours in the tunnel in all orientations (belly, head down etc) and has never failed.

The problem is when I turn it on in the plane, if I don't take a shot every (say) 10-15 seconds, it seems to switch off on it's own. Pressing the shutter on the camera or the biteswitch makes no difference - I have to turn it off and back on on the switch on the back manually.

The only things I can think of that are different to the tunnel are the temperature and the pressure - I'm jumping in Spain right now, and it's about -15 to -20 on exit. Could this be the problem, and would some form of camera protector help this?

Speaking of which, I've seen a few form-fitting rubber camera protectors that look like they're a "skin" on the camera - can someone point me in their direction?

Cheers.

Ross

What you've seen is called Camera Armor. B&H Photo sells it, also some shops in The Netherlands (about EUR 45), not sure where to get it in Spain.

That said, I have no clue what is causing your problem and if armor will help (doubt it). We jump when it's freezing on the ground and our cameras still work, Spain is comfy compared to The Netherlands right now, we have snow here!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've got lots of jumps on a 20D without any problem (totally exposed, front mount). I know there is a menu item that determines how long the camera stays on before shutting down, but the times are measured in minutes, not seconds. It is called "Auto Power Off" and the shortest setting is 1 minute. I leave mine at 4 minutes, and if we do a go round, or I am just bored waiting in the door, I click a shot off. Never had it shut down prematurely.

Just some thoughts. Do you get error messages when it shuts off? Does the battery show as fully charged (temperature affects batteries)? Do you use the exact identical helmet set-up in the tunnel? (I just re-read your post, and it makes me wonder about that switch, but its wiring is pretty simple. Try that same switch on the ground, in the tunnel, etc.)

thanks for the info, but i think thats a different problem. :( Thats related to the camera staying on all the time (no auto shutdown) because of AI Servo mode focus tracking with the remote enabled.

I'll experiment on the ground a little i think, but it's sure weird that this doesn't happen in the tunnel. :S

thanks for the pointers so far. I'll keep fiddling. I did manage to get some nice shots though - well, nice for my first ever skydive with stills ;) I'll post in the "post your best shot" thread though ;)

I was not referring to the OP's problem but further down the thread when Fuzzy mentioned this:

B: When wired for Manual Focus (red /red - white/white - ground/ground) - The camera works fine including AI Servo feature and other function buttons, but - if camera shuts down, I have to physically switch camera off and on again to get it to work.

At present it's set up as shown in B - and have just turned off the auto off function.

Anyway, hope you fix it and have fun in the air soon.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon