freeflydrew

Burning AVCHD to DVD: Any info

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get AVCHD onto DVD with the HD image quality... I know it's possible, but haven't found a clear set of instructions on how to accomplish this. Should this be easy?
(I've burned footage by exporting as quicktime and bringing into iDVD, but there's major degradation of quality)
Thanks very much

I'm on a mac, running Final Cut Express 4

-drew

You can half-ass author HD DVD with a Mac, just be prepped for a lot of headache and $$. Burning BD from a Mac is very easy, in fact, I'm teaching this today in Tel Aviv if you want to join me. :)DVDSP is great for BD authoring, even though it's currently not fully BD compliant (few apps are).
What you *can* do from a PC fairly easily, is author HD DVD content on a standard DVD 5, but you can't burn menus with a Mac at this point, or at least I've not been able to do it. On a PC, there are many apps that can do this, including Adobe Encore. I haven't tried doing this on my MacBook, however.
But...
AVCHD to a standard DVD isn't bad, but here is a horror story...one of the editors (William Goldenberg) showed up here in Israel with an AVCHD burn for his demo reel/keynote speech. Found out that the theater didn't really have a BD player even though they said they did, we couldn't find a PS3 anywhere in the time we had. So, I offered to rip/copy it, and burn to SD DVD. The AVCHD content was improperly encoded to the BD disc anyway, so it took nearly 20 hours to re-encode 48 minutes of content to SD DVD. In other words, spend the time learning how to properly prepare HD on a disc. It's not hard, but the bigger point is, even the Hollywood gods can screw it up big time.
Or, just shoot on AVCHD, copy it over, cut it, and render to templates provided by the DVD authoring app. It loses a tiny bit of quality in the process, but it's also pretty fast.
BTW, rendered some AVCHD on a new Quad core system last night, and it behaved almost identically to HDV, so I'm very much anticipating some of the new chipsets for this next tandem season. I'm almost convinced to jump the CX7 most of the time next year.

That suck. The MC3 was both stand alone and an external dvd burner for a computer. Do you know if we can still use MC5 as an external dvd burner if we use SD?
Does iMovie import AVCHD, and then changes the format? Is that why we cannot output footage form Mac as HD to MC5? Sorry for lame questions. I am new to this non-liner stuff.

The MC3 was both stand alone and an external dvd burner for a computer. Do you know if we can still use MC5 as an external dvd burner if we use SD?
-I don't think so but I could be wrong

Does iMovie import AVCHD, and then changes the format?
-Yes

Is that why we cannot output footage form Mac as HD to MC5?
-The MC5 is a DVD burner that can burn AVCHD DVD which look 1080i when played with Blu-Ray players, other than that, it doesn't burn HD (I had to check the box to be sure)

Sorry for lame questions. I am new to this non-linear stuff
-Me, too

I see...
Well hopefully iDVD will support Blue-Ray in the near future.
Nothing related, but I noticed something interesting, assuming www.sonybiz.net is an official sony site. Their new solid state pro camcorder is somehow hooked up to a Mac Book Pro on their add site.

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PMW-EX1&site=biz_en_EU&pageType=Overview&imageType=Main&category=XDCAMCamcorders