caldefly

14 mm wide angle canon lens

this lens dont have image stabilizer . Do they need it ? is it required for skydiving .. Sorry i am new to this photography enviroment . I have been reading previous treads about lenses and saw that the standard 18-55 has image stabilizer but when i checked canon website it shows that the 14 mm does not. is it normal?
" THE SKY IS THE LIMIT "

IS is not useful for freefall. Not really necessary for wide angle lenses in general either. Really helps for telephoto lenses where a little hand shake will ruin a picture. It lets you use a lower shutter speed and still avoid the blur caused by a shaky hand. At wide angles, you can move the camera a lot more without affecting the pictures nearly as much. Plus, at the types of shutter speeds we normally use for freefall, image stabilization will have no real affect. But you can't really use it anyway, since you need to hold the shutter half way down to allow it to stabilize before you snap the picture.

Dave

Do you mean the 15mm?
No, it doesn't have IS, but doesn't need it as it's so wide.

The 14mm is an L series lens. It can be seen and had for a decent price here
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You don't WANT any image stablisation when skydiving anyway. It has trouble keeping up and will make the image worse than without image stabilisation.

Some people do jump their video cameras with stabilisation turned on but often you can see the difference - you can get vignetting and/or a shaky image :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

saw that the standard 18-55 has image stabilizer

Hi,

Just FYI, although there is indeed an EF-S 18-55 IS lens, Canon's standard kit lens is still the non stabilized version. At least this side of the Atlantic...

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

Yes, I'm familiar with the L series; it's made in the same factory as their broadcast lenses. However, I wouldn't have thought new skydivers would be putting a $2500.00 lens on their camera, and the 15mm is very common. Perhaps I should have spoken more clearly.

It's a very nice piece of glass. At this focal lenght you don't need IS at all. Matter the fact is you probably would have a same problem like the Sony HC-7's (they have a built in optical IS).
As others said already IS works great on longer lenses on the ground to correct hand shake.
Also this Canon 14mm is expensive and pretty heavy.
You can only take advantage of it if you are an experinced photographer and camera flyer already.
Sigma has a same lens for half the price though...
-Laszlo-
the attached pictures were taken with this Canon 14mm
mounted on the Rebel XT.

The 14 Sigma is one of my favorite lenses.

It might´ve been mine too, had not the photographer I bought a 2nd hand sigma 14mm f/3.5 ´in good condition´ from lied about said condition: that lens has it´s damn swimming diploma >:(>:(>:(

ciel bleu,
Saskia