BMFin

New sigma lenses

I am not sure, but the 10mm costs 450$, i can get a 8mm Peleng that can give you great pictures if set correctly for just 280$. Do i need autofocus and automatic aperture for skydiving shots that bad?
I did not find a price, but the 4mm is probably even more expensive, but probaby your only option if you want circular fisheye pics with your DSLR.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

The peleng's glass is not all that good and I very much dislike the heavy vignetting it has. And yes I prefer jumping with autofocus, and I'd prefer not to jump any manual lens on a Nikon < D200 (no lightmetering either), A D200 or better or a Canon would be different but still.
As this sigma is about half cheaper than the very nice Nikon 10.5mm fisheye (don't think Canon has anything similar) and presumably has no vignetting problem it seems like a very nice addition to a skydiver's lens collection for specialty shots. Also for tunnel shots.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The peleng's glass is not all that good

Why do you say so? Just curious, as I really like my Peleng - nice colours and definition.

Although this Sigma is probably a much better value at 450 USD - auto-iris, auto-focus, warranty...

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

I am not sure, but the 10mm costs 450$

I didnt even know the prices were announced yet. Where did you find the price for this lens ?

i can get a 8mm Peleng that can give you great pictures if set correctly for just 280$.

I dont have any experience on the peleng but I hear a lot of people have had problems with it. And why wouldnt you compare the peleng to a sigma 8mm instead ?

From what I have heard the sigma 8mm clearly outperforms the peleng 8mm

I love my Peleng....yes optical quaility is NOT as good as more expensive fishys....but its a good cheap workhorse lens...
If you are using a fisheye lens you kinda have a good idea on what focal length you will be using...as such its not that much of a drama to have to set it up manually on the Peleng...

Value for money....cant beat it.

I didnt even know the prices were announced yet. Where did you find the price for this lens ?

Found it on pricegrabber.com

I dont have any experience on the peleng but I hear a lot of people have had problems with it. And why wouldnt you compare the peleng to a sigma 8mm instead ?

The Sigma 8mm costs 600$ that is more than twice as much and i think that is to much for a lens that is more for the fun shots than for each and every day skydiving. I you are a professional photographer it might be a different story.
There are problems with the Peleng like different types of adapters for your camera that don't all work good. But for skydiving and most of my other photography this is not a problem. Focus for skydiving is almost always on the same distance and there is always enough light for Aperture 8 at ISO100 which has a good depth of field.

From what I have heard the sigma 8mm clearly outperforms the peleng 8mm

My Porsche also outperforms my miata, but it also cost me twice as much :-) It would be very sad for Sigma if they could not outperform the Peleng.

Franco

Found it on pricegrabber.com

Can you give me a link ? I couldnt find it there..

Are you sure you didnt didnt get confused with the price of the Sigma 10-20 ?

They havent even annouced the weight for the 10mm fisheye, so I doubt they have announced the prices either..

They havent even annouced the weight for the 10mm fisheye, so I doubt they have announced the prices either..

you are right, i think i confused it with another lens. I did a quick google search and found a price in an online photo mag. It mentioned 699Euro for the 10mm and 999Euro for the 4.5mm. I doubt that is acurate though.

Franco

http://www.photoscala.de/node/3743