markovwgti

Ebay Wide Angle Lens?

Cookie's lens has a much lower profile, it's a single element lens which means no zoom through but also offers greater linearity of resolution (better image clarity at the edges).
I don't fly an HC40, but you're likely going to experience some vignetting with the multi-element lens, but that can be dealt with by zooming with the lens.
I'm sure someone here is flying that combination; they'd be able to give a "real-world" assessment vs my opinion of cheap multi-element lenses.

quality is alot better on the cookie but also is can be alot wider especially on inside video.. the cheap lens are .6. or .5.. the lens you would want for jumpng with your buddies is a .2 or .3... are you willing to pay 125 for the difference is the question.. i have a .45 cookie on a hc42 and it is not great for inside video.. if you want to see the width, quality etc,, go to the videos on this site and look at the chicks rock video or the moab video by sinjin,, those are mine..

p
dont let life pass you by

On my HC40, I jump the Sony 0.60 for outside video and Diamond 0.30 for inside. I and others have found the Sony to compare to the Kenko 0.45. It gives pretty good quality for a $30 multi element lens. It does not need a step down ring. Got mine from B-H. As DSE has said, the single elements are much more low profile.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

When I first started camera flying I bought a hc40 on ebay. It came with one of those cheapo .5 lenses. I jumped it for one season. It sucked. I got a .3 from royal lens. its much better although you have to be a better flyer and get in close to fill the frame.

The Cheap ebay lens is fine on an Hc40 if it's a .43 or .45 it will be wide enough for someone with 175 jumps.. as you get wider angle on the lens you have to be much much closer to your target to get a good shot. just go for it, jump the shit out of it and once you are ready you can drop the cash on an expensive lens
-Chris Martin

I don't think i would order a .25 from ebay... it will prob. have very bad vignette

sorry but what is vignette?

black shading around the outer edges.
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

You can zoom the camera in past the vignette but that ruins the purpose of getting a lens that wide... Your best bet is to get an expensive lens if you are going with a super wide fisheye (.3 .25 or wider) I think you will get everything you want from the .45 you ordered...
-Chris Martin