Dokeman

landing shots lens

You want a fast lens, that is, a low f-number (the specs are missing from your examples!). Also you want fast autofocus unless you shoot from a good distance away then you can set the lens to manual infinity.

I used to have a nice old Canon push-pull zoom lens, I think it was a 28-135mm f/2.8-f-something. Too lazy to go look it up ;) Loved the push-pull sesign, much better for fast reacting that having to turn the lens barrel real quick. Sold all my Canon stuff though.
Right now I have Nikon, got a cheapo 2nd hand sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-f/4 (off the top of my head), I quite like it. It's cheap, relatively fast and also pretty lightweight and can be shot out of hand. Any lens longer and heavier needs a monopod at least or a full tripod and I dislike shooting with one of those for action shots.

I need some more wideangle than your mentioned lenses, but this depends on where you stand and where your subjects are. Usually people see me standing and get too close to me even for 28-25mm (esp on a digital camera!).

So, no specific "buy this lens" advice, but my advice for anyone looking for a ground lens would be to borrow/rent some different lenses and try them out before you buy something that disappoints. You need to know how much zoom you need (generally speaking, more zoom = worse lens), how fast the lens needs to be (a 2.8 zoomlens can be multiple times as expensive as a slightly slower lens), how much weight you're comfy with (fast lenses can be quite heavy), etc etc. You want a lens that fits your budget and your needs, but my tip is also, you want a lens you have with you instead of one that's at home ;) My sigma is small enough that i can easily stuff it in a backpack and cheap enough to leave in my car so I usually have it with me for when the need arises.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I just picked up a Canon 70-200L F4 for ground stuff. Its fast enough for all but late sunset loads, its really sharp and quiet on the Autofocus. I stay a bit away from the landings for all but 2-3 people and since they are late swoopers I can flip back to a 18-50mm for them since they get really close to me.

Besides, who doesn't want some white glass in their bag? :)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Been having all kinds of fun with my canon 70-300 USM IS (f4-5.4). A few examples attached. Larger versions are available on my photo site.

First one is an example of pretty low light at ISO 1600. The rest are well lit. All shot with a Rebel XTi/400D.

It's the only telephoto I have used so I can't really compare it to anything else, but I can say that I've been really happy with it. The IS definitely makes a difference at 300mm. Very weird to watch your image just stop moving when you push the shutter half way down. I mostly use IS mode 2 for landing shots... it stabilizes only perpendicular to the direction you're panning, so you can follow a moving canopy while still damping out hand shake. Really makes it easier just to follow a canopy, let alone get better pictures.

Dave

Agreeded the shots are nice!

I use a Sigma 70 -200 2.8 and I have the canon 70 -200 f4.. (white glass and the price was right - sorry Dragon)..

The sigma 2.8 will let you get the sunset shots that magazines were made for..

I am selling both and upgrading to the Canon 70 - 200 2.8 IS.. Only because at 200 they get a bit fuzzy..

~Jeff.

Seriously look at the 100-400L IS if you can afford it. I bumped into a Canon rep at an airshow this weekend and he was nice enough to let me borrow the 100-400 for the Thunderbirds performance. It just blows the 70-200 2.8 out of the water, it is sharp all the way through 400mm when opened all the way up. I also used the 400mm f/4.0 DO. For an almost $6000 lens, I was mighty impressed. :D

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I went and got myself a 70-200 2.8L (usm, not IS)
I've only gotten a few skydive shots with it Then, it fell off of my tripod.>:(>:(:$

It was a slow motion heart attack Luckily, Canon repaired it for free.B|

heres one shot shrunken down and edited a million times.

Both of these guys are gigantic douchebags and good friends of mine.

My photos

My Videos