JPWoerner

HC32, 38, 42, 48, or ???

I have looked through most of the forums for info on my question, but no dice. I am 'shopping' for a video camera for just fun jumping. I have done a LOT of research on Sony PCs, but give up looking for a good deal on ebay. I am looking towards a Sony HC, but am unsure what model to get. I am currently looking at the HC32, 38, 42, and 48. Does anyone have any comparisons between these cameras? Or any suggestions? Thanks

I believe you'll find that once you get past the 32/42 models(36,38,48 etc.) you lose the LANC port. Also the 32/42's have the docking station for 1394 ports. If you want to use the 1394 port on newer models you'll have to take the camera off the helmet. I prefer the HC30. The 20 series do not let you record from an outside source so you should stay away from them.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

i have the hc -42,, i have a put a couple of hundred jumps on it and the quality is great.. i would use only one brand of tape in it and preferable sony.. i started with a cheap .45 lens and then moved to an expensive cookie .45 as it fits in the box cleaner and is better quality as i do tandems. i put it in a bone head box and it fits nice,, if you get the cheap lens,, you will have to dremel the opening a little wider but no problem .. the cradle is small pain but it is fine for the price of the camera. if you can find a hc-42 go for it...
dont let life pass you by

I have an HC42 that I purchased used on eBay a couple moths ago, I've put about 60 jumps on it so far. My opinion of it:

Pros-
1) Dirt cheap (for this reason I feel no need to put it in a box... so it's even cheaper. just mount it to an L-bracket and shoot)
2) small and lightweight
3) Video quality is pretty good for a SD camera
4) Has a LANC port for wired remote
5) Very good mic setup compared to my PC101... no tape motor noise

Cons-
1) There's no firewire port on the camera. In order to plug in a firewire cable you have to dismantle it from any mount brackets and plug it into a docking station (that station comes with the camera)
2) The rocking power switch in the back is really annoying, not easy to tell what it's doing when you have gloves on. This may just be a personal peeve
3) Feels flimsy. While it's nice to have a lightweight vid camera, this one feels like it's constructed of mostly thin plastic and I think if it got a hard hit it might be over.
4) The threaded hole for mounting is on the left edge of the chassis. In order to have a stable mounting setup it really needs a strap going over the top, pressing it down and to the right. Otherwise it can be wobbly.

Chris

I have the HC 40. It doesn't use a docking station, cables just go in the side. It has LANC port. It is as narrow as the 42, and a good bit narrower than the 38/48. If you side mount, that makes a difference on riser slaps. I found a piece of aluminum channel that the camera fits in nice and tight for pretty good protection. It gets held in with the bottom screw and a side bungy. I use the Sony 0.6 and Diamond 0.3. I have no complaints with the camera. Got it for just over $200 on eBay. I might pick up a second one just for a backup.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I use the HC 96 and what a great camera, has the lanc port and everything else you could want. I use it in a cookie helmet and love it. Like others said, it has a docking station that you need to use for 1394 otherwise I love it.

The Sky's not the limit, the ground is. Fear Nothing, Regret Less.

I bought a HC96 with the sony .6 lens and a diamond .3 I house it inside a 2K Composites FF2. I love the camera, but wish it had a firewire port on the camera instead of using a docking base. Other than that, the camera is first rate!
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

Just in case anyone reads this post, I posted it and have had an HC-40 for a few months now and LOVE IT!!!! I love how I don't need a docking station for it and it's just great!! I use a Cookie Composites 0.45 lens with it. Love it and don't even want anything else!!! Thank you all for your advise and help.