pre7117

What whould you get

Depends on what you're planning to shoot with it. Fun jumps, pro footage, tandems?

Cookie Composites MXV with a BB1000 for the PC1000 would be my first choice as an all-rounder. Awesome helmets and sidemounts.

The camera can be anything - where you want to mount it? Side mount generally you want as thin as possible (pc1000) - top mount is better for larger cameras.

Theres a few ideas for you anyway. :)

What helmet and what type of camera set up. I was looking at the 2K composite FFX with a pc1000.

My suggestion is find a camera that you are happy with and then buy a helmet that you are happy with that you can mount the camera on. Unless you have a pc1000, good luck finding one for less than a small mint. :S
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

How about a Rawa camera helmet with a PC1000...

============================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I considered a rawa as my second choice when I ended up with an FF2. There are a few things I don't like about the rawa, but they're pretty nice. I don't own one, so someone that does can correct me if I'm wrong on anything...

Thumb screw holds the door closed and the camera in. If you want to open the door in the plane for example, you need to remove the thumb screw, which also allows the camera to fall out. Can be easily modified with a strap to hold the camera in though. But if you lose the thumb screw, you're screwed. FF2 has all captive thumbscrews (to hold the door closed and the camera on... two separate thumb screws)... they loosen, but they stay in place so you can't lose them.

The thumb screw is also exposed on the bottom of the camera box... seems like a nice snag point to me. FF2 has the thumb screw under the padding, inside the helmet. Easy to get to, and the dbox is completely smooth and contoured to deflect lines.

Rawa has no cutaway option. A must for stills, in my opinion.

Camera isn't adjustable in a rawa. FF2 has a lot of adjustment, which also lets it hold a wider variety of cameras.

Rawa has the soft forehead area... need a longer rod for a ring site, if you use one.

But the Rawa is cheaper and a lot easier to get since they aren't custom made. I think they're pretty nice, but not quite as nice as the FF2. A little lighter too, but not enough to feel the difference once a still camera is mounted. I've held one in each hand and couldn't tell the difference.

Dave

Rawa has the soft forehead area... need a longer rod for a ring site, if you use one.

The new version of the Rawa has a "hard" forehead area.

I own a ff2. I think both helmets are really good, but the ff2 has the edge. I second Pilotdave's comments.

My fairly inexpensive (as these thing go) setup:

Sony DCR-HC48 MiniDV camcorder - $400.00
Skydance Ion Helmet - $219.00
Skydance Topmount platform - $90.00
Skydance chin cup - $40.00

I built my own enclosure/box from acrylic/plexiglass - $20.00

The thing works great, looks good, and my total cost for everything was around $770.00ish
__

My mighty steed