jtval

Grey Market Lens

What is your view on Grey Market Lenses?

I think I may be buying one for a 3rd of the price of the US price.
I know the warrenty may be a bit difficult if something happens to the lens but for a 3rd of the price I can buy 3 before I break even.

Anyone have any expeirence?
From what I know the lens is built exactly the same but the warrenty is the only issue.
My photos

My Videos

AFAIK the item is the same, it just was not destined to be a US sold product. US products cost the dealer more because they are not only paying for the item but to support the warrenty service center. The costs are then passed onto the customer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

just receaved a gray..nikon 70-300 VR
purchased on e-bay for $425

yea Im a happy camper

as a side note .all my equipment is NIKON or SIGMA and I have never had to send anything back..yet

gray is $ less ..go for it

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

AFAIK the item is the same, it just was not destined to be a US sold product. US products cost the dealer more because they are not only paying for the item but to support the warrenty service center. The costs are then passed onto the customer.

Yep - pretty much sums it up. The physical product is identical except that product names are often different in different countries so the badges on your lens or camera might be a little different. And of course, the warranty isn't as nice. I've picked up quite a few grey market lenses without a single problem - B&H gives a one year warranty with their grey market stuff too....

Action©Sports

What is your view on Grey Market Lenses?

I think I may be buying one for a 3rd of the price of the US price.
I know the warrenty may be a bit difficult if something happens to the lens but for a 3rd of the price I can buy 3 before I break even.

Anyone have any expeirence?
From what I know the lens is built exactly the same but the warrenty is the only issue.

ACTUALLY the guy I called locally gave me the wrong quote.

I was looking at the Canon 70-200 L (fstop 4). I found it for 569-ish

when I called the guy at the store (bc is was sunday and they were about to close) he quoted me for the

canon 70-200 L (fstop 2.8) with IS.

the grey market is actually only $40 cheaper.
If i order the US lens ONLINE I can save 300 PLUS TAX on 1300. If I oder they grey market I'd only save an additional $40.

I think for $40 is worth the warranty on such a lens.
I'm gonna buy the 70-200 L 2.8 WithOUT IS
My photos

My Videos

I am currently borrowing a 80-200 5.6 lens.

Its way cool compared to the kit lens but damn I want a fast Lens.
I cant wait til I get this one.

You're gonna love it! I took these over the weekend during our practice sessions at the track. He was running about 115 mph.

9491.jpg

9492.jpg

I was using my new Nikon D200 with the 80-200mm F2.8 with a 2x Teleconverter (basically a 600mm at F5.6) hand held a 1/125 sec. Fast lenses are expensive but man are they fun :)

Action©Sports

You won't regret not having IS on a 200mm... Farther out, absolutely, but on this one, you'll probably be very happy w/it. I have a Nikon 80-200 used for a RedRock kit without IS, and don't miss it at all. However, on a longer lens, it is certainly desirable, IMO.
I'd rather have the insurance/warranty.

THanks.

I was originally gonna get the 4(fstop) with IS.

but after talking to the guy at the camera store he convinced me it was better to go this way.:D

then, I came home and order it online.:S

I did buy a sensor cleaning kit from him and if he had some other stuff in stock I would have bought more. I'll go back in a week and try again.

In better news, the sensor is clean now and scratch free.:)

My photos

My Videos

Yea I was thinking about getting the 1.4 converter

I have a feeling Im gonna love it.:D

Converters are pretty cool but they do require a bit more in the way of tinkering if you want to get the most out of them.

And DSE is right. Don't worry about the IS at that focal length.

Normally, you'd want your mimum shutter speed to be the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens for sharp hand held shots. But, you can still get nice clear shots well below that without IS if you learn how to track your subject smoothly.

Action©Sports