karenmeal

The hardest thing about shooting video..

I wouldn't really bother writing a script - just talk to them. Saying the same thing to every student gets old really quick. Not to mention the students you just filmed often hear you interviewing the next victim while they're waiting on their video.....

Just turn on the camera, walk up to the student, introduce yourself, and ask them what they're up to. If they're at all animated you can just let them do the talking but that's not always the case.

Ask why they're jumping out of a plane...are they doing it to celebrate something, just want to try something new, are they trying to impress some hot chick/guy, why? Talk to their friends and family and get their input.

It takes a little while to get used to and you will inevitably stick your foot in your mouth sooner or later (done that many times :D) but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

You're a pretty outgoing individual and an awesome freeflier, I'm sure you'll make an excellent videographer

Action©Sports

The best video interviewers I have seen have a very natural way about them, and are good at unscripted talk. The worst I have seen are too full of themselves, and think the video is about the videographer (I hate it when videots put themselves in the video). It's a fine line.

I'm not as good as some, so I tend to stick to scripted material that works. You do have to mix it up though, particularly if you are videoing several people from the same group.

One tip I think helps is to get used to framing your customer without putting the camera to your face (i.e. hold it low or off to the side). First, sticking the camera between you and the subject makes camera-shy people more camera-shy, and second, your voice will invariably be much louder on the video than theirs. Also, if you pull your face away from the camera and look them in the eyes, you start having a real conversation with the customer with less focus (no pun intended) on the camera ("Oh S#@%, I'm on camera!").

One last thing. IMHO, don't ask the "is there anything you want to say before we go?" question. Particularly from the people who are already too reserved on camera. It violates the ask-open-ended-questions rule, and 95 percent of the time, all you will hear is "uh, no." (Great. That was a good closer.)

Great tips, thanks!

I will definitely try holding the camera lower when doing the video. I've been holding it to my face, and it is very hard to have a conversation with someone when looking at them through a camera.. it seems to increase the processing demand for some reason. Hopefully that change will help significantly. Might just get to go try it out for a quick jump this afternoon...B|

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

The hardest thing about shooting video.. ..has been Learning to relax

There fixed it for ya ;)

This principal will help you with everything.

If you are relaxed you don't make as many mistakes, you make the customer more relaxed, the TM's job is easier...your job is easier, you flying skill improves faster, etc.

Learning to relax is being comfortable. If you are shy? it can be harder but just be (the professional side of) yourself and it becomes second nature in time.

Try to move your focus on making the shots the correct length and getting interesting new shots and angles. Your job is to make a mint video. Keep it fast paced and exciting without using too many effects etc.

Intensive interviews can be boring and can also make the customer feel uncomfortable which is not ideal.

Spontaneous bursts of emotion or random reactions are my favorite in the vids but hard to capture if you are not on the ball.

Use all the cool things that other people use and omit all the dumb stuff and then you have your own style to work with.

Become the perfectionist that doesn't beat yourself up about making a mistake and you will be amazing!

Most importantly Smile and Have fun!

Tip; use the 'edit search' function when you make a mistake and do the shot again.

Blue skies,

Rhyso
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix