WatchYourStep

Rawa and cutaway

Hey guys quick question:

I've got a Rawa that I've been jumping for about a year now. Once or twice it's come lose. For instance I'll stick my head out to check the spot and it feels like it unlatches a few notches? Suggestions? I know it's tight before I stick my head out there. Maybe I bumped the release on the way out.

2nd question: Can I buy a cutaway system for the Rawa and if so where?

Thanks

Mods: I wasn't sure if this belonged in Photography and Video or Gear. Feel free to move if necessary.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

hi,

i think i can comment on both questions:

1) i´ve heard of and experienced myself rawa-incidents, where the complete chin cup went off, when the skydiver turned his head under canopy far enough to unlatch the notches on the 3-ring-system. to avoid this i´ve modified the helmut and put a security leash, that goes under my chin and that would keep the rawa (and the multi-thousand € equipment on it...) on my head. of course i´ve integrated the additional strap into my

2) Cut-away system: i took the bonehead cutaway system from an optic illusion. it´s really easy to mount, you just need to drill a hole where latches for the chin cup are fixed to the helmet and replace the screw with the rawa screw. i´ve tried the system 2 times under tension, and it worked okay.

i´ll post pics if i find them!

I also have a Rawa,

I have never had the buckle slip on the ladder/s.

One thing to remember is to not make the buckles to tight. I learned this while snowboarding as the same straps are used on snowboard bindings. When you make it too tight/overtight you wear the ladder and make unnecessary force on the buckle and strap. in time this rounds the steps in the ladder off and will make slippage more likely.

If your ladder/s are damaged or worn you can buy replacements for cheap at any snowboard equipment store.

I love my Rawa
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

ugliest.....cutaway system........ever

I wouldn't say ugliest system, just the ugliest handle.

I have seen much worse cutaway systems where a split pin is attached to the handle and the system requires no force/tension on the strap to release. Now that is ugly. At least the one in those photos will save your life if you have an entanglement with the main.

The handle is F*!King ugly though.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix