CornishChris

Premier help...

I am at the point of taking my computer upstairs and throwing it out the window with frustration.

What I am trying to do is have a title 'type' across the page at the beginning - ideally associated with typewriter noises.

I have made my title in Adobe title maker and am using the fill/unfill function to hide what i don't want on the screen. If I copy the title to make the next bit and rename i.e.:
1. T
2. Th
3. The
etc.

then when i change the title in number 2 it also changes 1. When I change 3 it also changes 1 & 2. I normally use Final cut pro to edit and am probably missing a trick but there must be a way of doing this.

Any help appreciated - I am going to go out and calm down so when I come back hopefully there will be loads of great advice.

cheers all...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

There's many ways to do this. I have done it by creating a series of individual title files, each file adds one letter. Put them on the timeline sequentially.

Or you can have just one title screen and use a series black video (assuming you have a black background) to sequentially unconver letters. (use the effects control to move the black video to each desired position).

Its alot of work but its a cool effect especially if you add the typying audio effect.

Don't give up.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

An easier way, albeit outside of Premiere, is to use Swish, Flash, Wildform, or Bluff. There are templates that do a letter/character reveal, and it's MUCH faster than trying to create single titles/copies of titles.
Or, build a title, hold CTRL and drag it. This makes a copy. Then modify the second title, CTRL+drag, and this gives a third. Modify that, and so on.'
For what you're doing, very little FCP/Premiere difference.

Nope - still can't make it work.

When I try and make multiple titles the position is almost impossible to get right for each one and if I copy them from a previous one then when I change one they all change.

I have managed to cover 3 lines with video black so I have one line I want to 'animate' but even if I set the position the same as the bit covering the rest it seems to cover everything.

It may be time to start drinking heavily...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

If the bit you want to type isn't that long, I'd do it this way:
create title with black to cover video (you seem to want a black background?), put on video track 2, stretch title for as long as you need the animation to be
create transparant title with first letter, this one goes on track 3, stretch this one too
create transparant title with 2nd letter, let this one start a bit later than the first two, on track 4
you now have 3 titles stacked on top of each other plus the video on track 1 if you have any
so you need to create a few extra video tracks by now
create another transparant title, with 3rd letter, start a bit later than the 2nd letter, on track 5
etc etc etc
make sure they all end together when done.

For the sound you need just one "typewriter" soundfile, trim it if necessary so the start of the file makes the noise, copy that onto the timeline a few times and line them up with the start of each new transparant title.

Can't think of an easier way to do it with premiere....

PS you cant copy a title using only premiere, if you have premiere pro 1 or 1.5 you could copy in file explorer, doesn't work for 2.0 though. Otherwise just copy the last letter and paste that into a new title and work from there. Make sure you set the cursor on the timeline each time so all the letters show, easier that way to reposition the last letter if needed.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Create a gradient bitmap in photoshop.

Create your title on one of the overlay tracks in premiere.

Then animate a pan over the gradient image (using zoom and postition in the clip settings>motion dialog) in a track above that one, set the track to hide (little eye icon on the way left of the track) and use this track as a track-matte for the title track.

Or just use one of the transitions to get a nearly identical effect.

And if its too much work, do it without the fancy titles and put the extra time on the editing of the video itself:P;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm with DSE-

Right tools for the job. You could do this in a title program or even after effects in like 2 min.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks - I'll just go and spend £500 on After Effects then for this one edit!;)

ermm knobhead!!!! why didnt you ask me... tell me what you want the type to say, ill do it and email you the .avi then you can just import it into PPro...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+