tosca

slack from last stow --> links

wings - 12" to 15"

Yup...although I tend to leave closer to 20"

Alright, now here's a question: has anyone ever seen a tension knot from having too much line after the last stow? I'm not talking about having a line wrap over a stow or the bag or something like that, I mean just a pure and simple tension knot.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This may be an appropriate place for this. One reason you should leave enough slack is to guard against lines getting caught under the corner of the reserve tray. In fact, some of us reach down to the corners of the D-bag and slightly pull the line sets away from the reserve tray just for this reason. My rigger told me that lines caught in this fashion can start to pull the tray edges up over time.

Too much line tension in the main tray due to too little slack in the lines can help cause hard openings as well (so I am told), but I am not sure, mechanically, how this scenario plays out. Comments by riggers on this?
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Alright, now here's a question: has anyone ever seen a tension knot from having too much line after the last stow?

I wouldn't think that would cause it but it's possible. With my line stowing experiments as of late, I've had All but the locking stows left free. So far so good. (Obviously not recommended, it's an experiment )
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

We actually just finished a pretty long thread on this topic. I think it was under "Stows" or something to that effect.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Some people claim that the remainder of the stows are there for neatness and not for opening speed. Did you notice any differences?
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Some people claim that the remainder of the stows are there for neatness and not for opening speed. Did you notice any differences?
|

Since Phree and I have been doing the same thing (except I stow mine sometimes) Opening speed hs not been a factor at all. Keep the bag closed until line stretch and there is no discernable difference.

Keep the bag closed until line stretch and there is no discernable difference.

Didn't we just get done with like the third thread on this topic in a month?!? :P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Didn't we just get done with like the third thread on this topic in a month?!? :P

Yes but that's ok. That thread is buried. I'll be happy to discuss it again for some one who missed it.;)

Hookitt's the one that inspired me to try it once... then after packing a tailpocketed Lighting and just coiling the lines in the pocket I said what the hell and started doing it on the canopy. I've only got 3 jumps on it but no issues yet. I'll report back after Perris...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Good Luck. I wish I was joining you down there, if you're willing to experiment, Be safe;)

Stows are good to get it off your back away from you, and the flaps, so take extra care if you're not using them. Remember, I'm in no way suggesting any one else should do this.

Have a good time in Perris.

>if you're willing to experiment, Be safe

Then where is the fun? :D

I have noticed that while I save time by not lining up the stowes and looking for rubberbands, I do take more time in laying the coils in the rig.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

18-24 inches has always worked well for me. A very small amount of slack in the pack tray makes it easier for the lines to hang up on one corner(especially with some containers) and start the bag into a turn as it leaves the main pack tray, and after all...who needs line twists?