skymick

stills camera orientation on helmet

Hi guys, I have recently completed setting up a camera setup (cookie helmet with HC32and a .45 lens on side and Pentax MZ50 w/24mm lens on top) and start filming some tandems.

Now I have been two different stories with regards to the orientation of the stills cameras. First one is that the stills camera should be pointed slightly to the left (the side the vid camera is on) and calibrated so that when looking through the ring sight it should be correctly centered at whatever distance Ill be filming tandem from (say 1-2 meters). This means that when im in the right position both films and stills should come out nicely but if im too close or too far they will not match up perfectly.

The second one is that the stills should just both point directly forward, in this case the subject may not be perfectly centered, but the wide angle lens should cover any offset the stills has compared to the ringsight/vid camera.

What is the best way to go?

Cheers B|

I definitely agree with Quade on this one, I used his site as a guide when putting together my first camera setup, and I've never had any problems sighting/shooting what I want. My ringsight is 9 inches away from either camera lens, I don't ever plan on being so precise with centering/framing that 9 inches is going to kill me. I am off 9 inches at all distances, everything is aligned to the same direction.

An easy way to sight in the video camera is to wear the helmet, with the camera on (record mode, but not recording), and the A/V cable going to a TV. I put the TV in front of a window (with a long view outside the window) and sit in a chair in front of the TV. I put a piece of tape at the center of my TV screen, and aim my ringsight at something out the window far away (100+ yards). I can look at the TV screen without moving my head (move eyes only) and that way I can get the ringsight and the center of the TV on the same object.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com