johnski

Which Camcorder??

G Day I am thinking of getting into doing some camera stuff and I have looked on the net to come up with 3 options so far. I would like some opinions on them please

1 Panasonic NV GS 505
2 Cannon HV 10
3 JVC GZ-MG 505
4 Sony HDR HC 5/7
5 Anything else you can recommend

I would like a camera with enough Megs to take very good still at the same time as it is also taking video.
Various sight I look at say that they will/wont do this so I have decided that the net is great for getting info 'IF' you don't want the facts, so I am hoping for the real facts her guys.

John

1 Panasonic NV GS 505
> I don't know about this one.

2 Cannon HV 10
> The image stabiliser makes this VERY bad for skydiving.

3 JVC GZ-MG 505
> Don't know about this one.

4 Sony HDR HC 5/7
> Both fine cameras, the benefits of the HC7 may not warrant the extra cost if it's mainly for skydiving use. HC3 is also good and may be available cheap if anyone has stock.

Sony IS NOT the only brand suitable for skydiving. Many people use Panasonic with great sucess (even in the harsh BASE envoirnment too!).

If your profile is up to date ? Your experience with skydiving video and photography is limited. The skydiving video world uses sony video and canon stills.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

f your profile is up to date ? Your experience with skydiving video and photography is limited.

I have only 1,200+ skydives, know quite a bit about Photography, a little less about video.

The skydiving video world uses sony video and canon stills.

Yes a lot of people use those brands. However I know of quite a few people that are using Panasonic 3CCD cameras for both skydiving and BASE jumping and are having great results.

In case you didn't know BASE jumping tends to be quite hard on gear, openings are harder than on skydives.

I'm quite a fan of Sony (except their over the top copyright measures and proprietary nature) and I jump a PC101 & 350D. I have no problem recommending Sony, but it is wrong to imply that it is the only possibility.

Finally, the people that I am referring to have WAY more experience than you and I put together.

I just don't see other cameras holding up to the punishment skydiving delivers ,going thru extreme climate changes rapidly .I too base jump with cameras.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

G Day I am thinking of getting into doing some camera stuff and I have looked on the net to come up with 3 options so far. I would like some opinions on them please

1 Panasonic NV GS 505
2 Cannon HV 10
3 JVC GZ-MG 505
4 Sony HDR HC 5/7
5 Anything else you can recommend

I would like a camera with enough Megs to take very good still at the same time as it is also taking video.
Various sight I look at say that they will/wont do this so I have decided that the net is great for getting info 'IF' you don't want the facts, so I am hoping for the real facts her guys.

John

The HDR-HC7 shoots 4.6MP stills while simultaneously shooting HD Video. That means you only need one camera... It has Optical Image Stabilization, and it fits into a 5x3x3 envelope. Seems like an obvious choice to me... Anyone agree/disagree?
Gravity Waits for No One.

Look at the threads on the HC7, lots of people are reporting some issues when freeflying. Also at this point no one has made a mouth switch to take stills when shooting video at the same time, so you have to reach up and take the picture by hand, not practical at all yet.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Look at the threads on the HC7, lots of people are reporting some issues when freeflying. Also at this point no one has made a mouth switch to take stills when shooting video at the same time, so you have to reach up and take the picture by hand, not practical at all yet.

I did read every post/thread on here regarding the HC7. The way it sounds I think it's probably just because the enclosures they are using are vibrating. That might be interacting badly with the OIS, or it could be completely independent.
Gravity Waits for No One.