velocityphoto

Flash settings?

Opinions on free fall flash settings ? I am currently shooting ettl 550 speedlight without the defuser, sigma 15mm auto focus, Canon xt ,I'm having alot of blowout on my tandems and aff,any opinions welcome?
Thanks

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I was shooting shutter priority iso 100 shutter 320 and flash set to ettl sigma 15mm set to auto focus . i have shot manual focus in the past for many years but have just started shooting auto focus recently .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

If you're useing Tv 320 with ISO-100 AF that means your camera have to achive auto focus while the apeture changes. In a low light conditins it becomes more difficult. Just imagine during the exit your camera measures the light and sets the f-stop wide open 2.8 which gives you a very shallow depth of field. But at the mean time your camera also tries to AF the subject (like a TM pair) in the foreground and the plane in the back ground. The most likly result will be the focus half-way between, so everything will look blurry.
My personal expirince with the Sigma-15mm is it works pretty good even in low light with AF but I try to maintain at least f4 or above. So you either have to come down with the shutter speed or go up with the ISO. Personally if I use AF I prefer to set eveything else fully manually (RAW files give a pretty good flexibilty to correct exposure if needed).
My othe expirince with AF is the "One Shot" mode with single shots works lot better than "AI servo".
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

I mainly use AF to. Another thought (this is what has been working for me) is set the focal points on the center (perfect for a tandem) and the metering to center weight. Then boost the flash to to +2. I also disable the fillflash setting in the custom functions. I have mixed results. If too close (as in the ghost pic) you get blasted. But with the sun behind the subject, the lighting is bitchen. And I agree with using RAW format.

This is still a learning process here. I would love to hear other ideas of what people use in different situations.

meant to add that these were shot at 1/350, high speed synch, and ISO of 200.
my pics & stuff!

This is still a learning process here. I would love to hear other ideas of what people use in different situations.

I've been mainly shooting fully manual, I figure out what the right exposure settings are for a normal shot, say 400/f10 and i set my camera to that.
Then for the flash, set it to high speed sync (since the shutterspeed is over 1/250th) , and set the flash exposure to either a "correct exposure" or slightly over exposed (+1/3 +2/3s of a stop)

Works every time for me, and so far I have not had any ghost pics.

I just started shooting with way slower shutterspeeds (1/250th 1/320th) so I'll have to adjust to that.. and I'd like to shoot at 1/250th, so my flash can sync perfectly with my camera (20D)