tsalen

canon digital eos xti

I don't think that's coming from the camera...
There's a lot of different auto focus setting.
I found that the lens is very vital part of it.
In the attached picture I used the XT with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM lens. Manual exposure (so the aperature dosen't have to change) AI servo, and only the center focus point (so the camera dosen't try to fucus on anything else). ...and the subject was coming at me 35-40 MPH...

-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

I found that the lens is very vital part of it.
In the attached picture I used the XT with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM lens. Manual exposure (so the aperature dosen't have to change) AI servo, and only the center focus point (so the camera dosen't try to fucus on anything else). ...and the subject was coming at me 35-40 MPH...

But that's the easiest settings for the camera to handle. I've taken some pictures from the side of the swooper with the 350D, 18-55mm kit lens, all AF points on, AI-single shot mode and time priority and it managed to focus fast enough (I missed some shots due to having all focus points on so it locked on to the wrong point, but the camera did what it was told quickly enough).

But given the same USM lens, all AF points turned on, AI single shot and some exposure measurement, you turn, aim and shot and you'll notice that a 1D is faster than a 350D.

I haven't shot skydiving yet but I am a semi pro photographer. I shoot alot of extreme sports and wildlife. I have tried other rebel digitals and I just don't think the auto focus is fast enough. I shoot an eos 1 film and a 20d and even the 20d is sometimes slower to focus than I would like. especially if you aren't shooting a usm lens. anyhow wondering what peoples thoughts are on the xti that have used it.

I have a 20D, 17-85mm IS USM lense and that is what I use for my skydiving pictures. As for the fast to focus, I am in the middle of writing a review and jumping different switches for this camera. One of them ABSOLUTLY fixes the autofocus speed to an insanly fast speed at the cost of the battery, life is always about compromises.

I will get off my ass in a bit and do the review so you will see what I am talking about :)