Skydave103

Portable Editing

OK I tried the computer for quick editing, takes wayyyy too long to DL, edit, render and burn.
So I built a portable station using a Datavideo se-200 mixer/titler, DVD recorder, a DVD player as the monitor and my laptop to feed music. Edits in real time and burns in about 3-4 min. (see pic)
I wanted to keep it as inexpensive as possible. but still ended up at about $500+.
Is there anyone that uses a similar setup? Or interested in using one like this?
I had some free time and spare cash so I built another one. Now I have 2 and only have use for only one. There doesnt seem to be a market for this.
I have tried to sell it in the classifieds and only got a scammer interested.

Are most people using the DZ's equip?

Or using their computer and taking 15+ min to edit?

Are some/most places getting away from analog editing and using computers?

What are you using?

Dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

The only editing I do is off of videos I get from the guys at my DZ who jump camera's so I typically don't have to burn DVD's for tandem passengers high on adrenaline. This means I get to take the videos home with me and spend a good few days editing them and making sure I get them looking the way I want them.

That beind said, I think that when I start jumping camera I still wouldn't mind taking some extra time just to make sure I get it looking right. As far as the other guys at my DZ go, they generally edit off a normal computer as well, but it usually takes around 30 mins or so.

Your setup sound very convenient and fast, but as you mentioned it still cost around $500. I suspect that the market for such a setup will be limited to camera jumpers who absolutely need any extra time they can get (camera guy for a serious 4-way team during training season etc).

I'm not a hundred percent sure about this next bit, but I am fairly certain that you can get some cameras which have basic editing capabilities built in (mixing audio, speeding up etc) so if you get a reasonable advanced camera to do some of those functions you could possibly drop the extra mixer saving some money?
Between the sadness and the smile, lies the flicker of the fire. You always said this never hurt you, I always said you were a liar.

when a flyer is also responsible for editing their own videos, looking at 10-12 videos to edit at the end of a good days jumping. it becomes a lot of work. if you enjoy doing it, not so bad. every min. counts.

linear editing is for speed.

non-linear is for quality, but very time consuming.

Stay Safe,
Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

non-linear is for quality, but very time consuming.

I keep hearing this, but if you build templates, this simply isn't so. DVD burn time is identical, so the only slowness is in a render. There are means around that, too.
With a template, you can ingest the entire skydive in 3 mins, have a finished edit ready to burn 4 mins later. Can you start to finish a linear edit in 7 minutes?

Templates are fine, if you want every video to look the same. Issue is if you want to do video for a group of 5 people do you want them all to walk away with the same exact product with the only difference of their face in the video or do you want to create personalized videos for each person.

It takes a lot of prep time to create effective templates. For me I would need "Otter take off Sunny Sping/fall", "Otter take off Sunny Summer", "Otter take off Partly sunny Spring/Fall", "Otter Take off Partly Sunny Summer", "Otter take off overcast Spring/fall", "Otter take off overcast Summer", "Cessna take off", "CASA take off" etc. Its a lot of prep work to get all those stock videos shot and built into the templates. Granted you do get to do much cleaner transitions and titling then what can be done via the linear systems, but the effort put in needs to be weighed with the product being output.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You've got it almost exactly how I've got it set up.
Folder of altimeter shots (20 of those, various lighting/types)
Folder of takeoff (same, roughly 20 shots)
Folder of air to ground
Folder of landings (TI/Student POV)

Then I've got a customized script called "Ultimate S" that stores various templates.
All I need to complete the sequence (from the camera) are:
Ground interview
Climbing into plane
Aircraft interview
Freefall/deployment
Ground interview/exit interview.

Those are essentially always the same length, so the template works with the in/out points that the tape provides. No in-camera editing required.
All that has to be changed is the name/date in the title track.
Each time the cam record is triggered/stopped, it creates T/C break of course, and this is what determines the clips/scenes. Works great for what little I do, but lately it seems like a bunch are getting farmed off my way.

it's not a workflow for everyone, but with a laptop, cam, and some stored shots, it works great.

[edit] failed to mention that our DZ only has a King, so different aircraft don't apply in our particular case.