airborne47

Canopy choice for newbies

Just wanted to share my thoughts with other less experienced people looking to buy a rig.
I just returned to the sport this past summer and got (a real good deal) on a rig that was (just a bit) smaller then what i wanted.
And did something real stupid which put me in a bad position. (read please learn from my stupidity. In this thread)
I wanted a 190 or maybe even a 210. But was jumping a 170 when i left so when i got a (good deal) decieded i could (grow into it)
BAD BAD CHOICE!!! Now i'm going to be useing rental gear until i get a 210.
That's what i started on and was a lot more accurate with then the 170 i later went to. (after putting a few jumps on a 190)
Now i want to go back to a 210 for better accuracy (and) because (hard landings hurt!)
I know i can safely land my 170 in (most) situations. But what about if there's a loud bang and the plane starts vibrating real bad.
And the pilot yells get out! And there's nothing but crap below?
Landing safely then is just as important! And i don't want to be under a canopy i'm not compleatly comfortable with! How about you?
I'm positive the only reason i walked off of the DZ is because i do PLFs so good after having them drilled into me to where they're second nature.
Yes my hard landing was a result of a stupid choice on my part. Which put me in a bad situation that i had to somehow try and salvage.
And i really did think i was smarter then that. But still made a dumb choice.
Are you capable of ever makeing a bad choice? Or haveing to make an emergency exit?
PLEASE don't try to (grow into) a canopy! Hell you're jumping out of an airplane. You have nothing to prove!

First, I'm glad your OK. Second, I hope your goal of this reaching newbies works. This is a great example of what happens ALL the time everywhere. I'm happy that you are sharing this with the community to hopefully reach someone out there to not make the same mistake.

To all the newbies out there, please don't downsize to quickly, if you want to skydive for a long time.

Stay SAFE in the New Year!
Kamuran "Sonic" Bayrasli
The Ranch PROshop
Buy Baby Buy!

hmmm

didn't you post about a month ago... concerning a poor landing and a search for gear...??
(i'm not good about linking things.. but it was something with "stupidity' in the thread title)

i think YES.. because we messaged each other after i sent you word, that i had a solid , well kept spectre 210, with recent lineset, that i'd consider selling to you...:|.for under a grand.:)
your reply was that you're gonna "wait".....
i said.. "ok good luck"

glad you landed ok. you give Zero details about the landing. only that it was bad..:o:S. How is it that you couldn't assess the situation upon opening.. deal with a bad spot,, if it was.. and then Fly to a safe landing??

i have a sense that it may not be allll about the parachute... but also, partly about the parachutist.
So i'll say good luck.. again.. don't keep wasting them.

jmy
a 3914
d 12122

Yes i posted awhile back. And it says in this post (please read. Please learn from my stupidity. In this thread)
And it was a bad situation which (i created) by a stupid choice to (go for it) and not (take the out) at alltitude.
So i'm not blaming my gear. Just pointing out that once i got myself into a bad situation.
Which i had to try and salvage despite my lack of skill and experience.
Being under a canopy i was having a little problem with became a big problem!
This post resulted from a conversation from someone right at 100 jumps who wanted to downsize.
And was allready having problems landing what he had.

Good post Airborne....I, too, hope other youngsters learn and HEED the lesson of the decision-making process that you point out.

Glad you are OK.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks popsjumper.
Yeah i decieded to post this one after hopefully convincing someone.
That maybe they weren't ready to downsize if they were having problems landing what they had.
So i pointed out my own mistake to him as an example.
I'm sure i could keep jumping that same canopy and safely land it (most) of the time.
But (most) of the time ain't good enough! Rather it's because of my own mistake. Or another reason. If i'm ever in a bad situation again i'll still have to deal with it. So i'll use rental gear until i can upsize.

"You're jumping out of an airplane. You have nothing to prove!"

"I'm sure i could keep jumping that same canopy and safely land it (most) of the time. But (most) of the time ain't good enough!"

You have exactly the kind of attitude that we all need. I think you have great things in your future. Thanks for your posts! Hopefully newer jumpers will read and heed.

Good post Airborne....I, too, hope other youngsters learn and HEED the lesson of the decision-making process that you point out.

Glad you are OK.

Sadly I know of 3 off the top of my head that are
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Glad you are OK.

Sadly I know of 3 off the top of my head that are

Those that are already jumping them are doing so in part because they're allowed to by the DZO and/or S&TA. I'm all for personal freedom to take one's own risk, but DZOs still have the ability - it's their DZ,after all - to force people to attenuate their risk enough to keep the carnage down to a dull roar.

Glad that you survived and it's good that you are sharing your story. Hopefully a few will read it and follow your advise.

One of the beginning problems in this sport is that new skydivers are in a hurry to become advanced skydivers.

In my day ( here I start to show my age) we did a few static line jumps and then slowly progressed to hop and pops and slow delays before opening. We flew a predictable pattern and I never felt the need to hook it in.

I always wanted a nice soft landing and never understood additional excitement after my parachute opened. I was anxious to go back up though and do it again. After a few 1,000 jumps, I still look forward to a nice, slow, soft landing.
Dano