kwmontreal

PC1000 playback lines

Hi All,

Its happened a few times now and it is becoming a concern. While playing back footage the image is "striped". By that I mean the there are horizontal lines of equal proportion across the screen. I haven't counted but I am guessing about 8 or 10 lines. Every second line is from the same "fabric" of video. I have tried shutting down and re-starting, ejecting and re-starting,..... to no avail. Here is what really hurts! A gentle "bump" once or twice seems to work. It does not seem to be tape brands (I use JVC and TDK) as it has happened on both. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I looking at $$$$$ repair? (I am not the original owner so no warranty.

Thanks.

Kent

PS; Got put on the "beer Board" this weekend for first tandem vid. :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

If the heads were clogged when you recorded the video the lines will always be there.

I would suggest that you clean your heads at every tape change or at least every other one with a dry tape cleaning system like the Sony cleaning tape. If they wer e really clogged you may have to clean them a couple of times.

I also recomend that you always use the same brand of tape and stick to 30 minute or 60 minute tapes. Personally I like Sony.

These are all new tapes. Heads were cleaned yesterday (AGAIN) and it still does it. A gentle bump on the heal on my hand seems to resolve the issue. :S I was hoping that I would find other PC1000 users that had the same problem, and, that had been resolved in some specific way. I do appreciate the great advice I have received.

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Yes I have had the same problem but only once so I never really thought about it. It was before I started jumping the camera. I had heard that Sony had a bad batch of tapes, but this is in South Africa, so I put it down to that since the camera was still pretty new. I havn't had it since.
Also aren't those cleaning tapes abrasive? I use them as little as possible.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Well for starters I guess I'll try some Sony tapes, until I hear of something more technical. I just don't think that its a tape issue. JVC and TDK have been in the industry for eons, and it happened to both brands??:S

Thanks.

Kent

It hasn't happened to my current camera but I have had a similar problem in the past. My guess is that your heads are misaligned slightly and the camera does need to be mechanically repaired.

When I had mine done 2 years ago it cost about $200 at a local shop.

The fact that it clears up when you whack it indicates that something is shifting inside the transport mechanism - that is what mine was doing according to the tech that repaired it.
The cam is still working fine, but no longer used for jumping.
illegible usually