bliston

HC-42, can I download to a Mac realtime as I record?

Purpose is for the wind tunnel. I want to be dumping footage down real time so it's accessible immediately after we get out for debrief. When I hooked up the camera, the recording image was "showing up" in iMovie, and it even let me click "import" while recording, but I could seem to actually capture a clip. Thoughts?

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Seems to depend a LOT on the camera model, but I've had good results by taking the tape OUT of the camera. Of course, this means that if your computer glitches during the ingest, you are without a backup on tape.

Anyway, something for you to experiment with.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Purpose is for the wind tunnel. I want to be dumping footage down real time so it's accessible immediately after we get out for debrief. When I hooked up the camera, the recording image was "showing up" in iMovie, and it even let me click "import" while recording, but I could seem to actually capture a clip. Thoughts?

Ben

Absolutely you can. In fact, using RedRock's Revolution, you can record to HDD with a laptop as your "field monitor."
In the PC world, there is also DV Rack that allows for this with either HDV or DV. Use a long firewire cable and you'll be great. I've not tried this with my Mac and long cable, but do it almost daily with a PC and long cable.

In the PC world, there is also DV Rack that allows for this with either HDV or DV. Use a long firewire cable and you'll be great. I've not tried this with my Mac and long cable, but do it almost daily with a PC and long cable.

If all you want is DV camera -> HDD, couldn't you just use the free WinDV program? Or am I missing something?

Nope, you're missing nothing. The WinDV program doesn't buffer frames though, and bear in mind that capture isn't buffered at cam either, so you could lose a couple frames. Products like DVRack and Revolution buffer frames during capture, assuring nothing is lost.
Free is good, but might cost you a few lost frames.