MissMae

My friend needs help finding a first rig

My friend is starting her AFF/ASP whatever they call it now and she has been asking my advice on what to buy, size, container, etc...
I know when I started jumping (even though it wasn't all that long ago - 4yrs) I went through it a little different and heard flack from everyone and didn't want to give her wrong advice. Anyone who could give some good pointers would be appreciated. Here are her specs:

5'4"
115lbs
Not sure of what type of flying she is going to do, not leaning one way or the other at this point.
Currently looking at a Wings container w/ a hornet 150 main

When I started I found an older Javelin with a Sabre 150 in it and I didn't have problems, but what should she expect to move down to right after "graduation"?

This all might be a little soon to be talking about but I'd like to show her the different opinions since she is so new to our sport, she is open minded so I think the more information she has the better off she will be.

Thanks!

take the time to appreciate the people around you.

I'd suggest she wait until she's done with her student jumps to buy a rig.

Which container is a personal choice; which one can she afford and/or is she willing to wait for? If she's looking at used have her be sure to choose something "freefly friendly."

Canopy sizing... a 150 would probably be a good choice but if she's a more aggressive person then she may want a 135 - which is why waiting until she's off student status and has had a chance to jump a few smaller-than-student sized but bigger than 150 mains before she buys gear is a good idea.

Which main? Spectre, Tri, Sabre, Sabre2, Pilot, Hornet, Safire, Safire2... depending on what she wants out of a canopy, any one of these would be a good first main.