jtval

chromakey

anyone have any experience with Grren/Blue Screen effects?

I read about chromakey and I hear that "rosco" paint can be the best if I wanted to make my own.

I was thinking of going to a linen store and buying a brightly colored non sheen blue or green set of sheets.

I guess If no one answers this I'll let you know how it works, but if you know a better way please let me know.

my next option would be getting a white sheet and painting it with the above said colors
My photos

My Videos

Have tried Chromakey using sheets......poor results.
You need a uniform colour which means no creases (causes shadowing) and optimal lighting to acheive a 'uniform colour'

I've played around with different sheets and materials....but it still looks cheap and nasty when edited......

I'd like one of the pro fold out screens that pop into an 'instant background' .....but y'know...£££

Mind you the story of how I first experimented with sheets for Chromakey effects is too funny.....when I get some time I'll post it in the Bonfire.....:)

Try Ultimate...

It also has nice correction options (if you shoot an empty frame, of you creasy blue/green screen)

Most folks here probably can't afford Ultimatte.

Chromakey requires two things for a successful key:
1. proper tint of green (if working with digital) or blue(if working with analog)
2. Proper lighting. Lighting is EVERYTHING. You can key off of bad wallpaper texture if you have even, color corrected lighting.

Most NLE's today can do a reasonable job of keying, but if you're starting with DV footage, you're dealing with 4:1:1 compression, which makes artifacting a problem. The easiest way around this is to use a garbage matte and a gaussian of around .001-0.003 on the matte.
Serious Magic Ultra, at a price of $399.00 is a very good competitor to what was the industry standard at 5 times the price (Ultimatte).

http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=chromakey has a lot of information on getting successful keys.
HDV is much easier to key due to the greater resolution, but more importantly to the color sample of 4:2:0.

But the true key regardless of format, is lighting. One other small caveat, try to avoid your subject wearing large amounts of black. This too, will mess with the key significantly, and will absorb spill that is a bear to get rid of in post.
PM me if you'd like any particular assistance. I can usually look at a picture of your key setup and identify problems.

Mind you the story of how I first experimented with sheets for Chromakey effects is too funny.....when I get some time I'll post it in the Bonfire.....:)

You can find that story...here
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2324194;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Its long but its a comedy read..!

LOL, that's a great story.
For Hallowe'en this year, we were already talking about having some fun, having a friend wear a shirt with a big green dot on it, or a container with a big green "dot" on it, and having guts or something equally weird come out of belly or container. Did this with some kids for an elementary school project last year, and it was too much fun.

thanks for all your help/advice, everyone.

I'm just barley learning how to work with the chromakey effect. I kinda figured my $600 DV camera wasn't the best for it but I hoped that I could do some '80's movie styled editing.

cheese factor is ok when I'm not gonna make a full feature movie.;)

in fact it'll probably help with the humorous style of films I would make.

hell,If David hasselhoff can sell a video with cheap cheesey effect, I think I can get people to watch my movie for free at the dz:D
My photos

My Videos

One final thing.

In another thread we were talking about White Balance . . .

Put the White Balance on the appropriate setting; Sun or Indoor (tungsten). Putting it in "Auto" will be horrible for a lot fo reasons.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver