lintern

Recommend a wide angle lense for Sony PC105

I have a Sony PC105 and all I need to get now to complete my setup is a wide angle lense.

People have told me to get a 0.3 to 0.5 wide angle lense.

But I have no idea of good makes and models of wide angle lenses ?

I have seen cheap wide angle lenses on other peoples cameras for around £30.

But they are suprisingly bigger than the more expensive lenses, so the lense protrudes out of the camera housing alot more.

The more expensive lenses I have seen on other peoples cameras are much smaller, but cost around £100 .

Can anyone recommend a wide angle lense for the Sony PC105 ?

A make and model would be helpful in addition to where to get them from without being ripped off.

I cant afford to spend £100 but then again I dont really want a cheap bulky lense.

PS. I live in the UK

Thanks

It depends on how you want to use the camera.

I've always flown the bigger, less wide lenses because of the kind of camera flying I usually do - 4way and RW video. On those jumps I usually hang out above the formation and have the distance to fly a less wide lens.

Many freeflyers want a very wide angle lens, like the .3 so that they get inside video.

My lens choice means that when I freefly I take an outside slot, and am not part of the formation.

Personally, I strongly dislike the look of the video that you get from the extreme wide angle lenses, so I stick with something like the Sony .6, which tend to be a bit bigger.

I've had a few interesting openenings, ones where I'm sure there's temporary line-on-electronics contact. These have always been at the back of my Flat Top Pro, so I don't think the lens has ever played a part.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I use a .3 (Red Eye from WayCool) for BASE jumping and general freefly. When I film my freefly team I zoom it in slightly... You could compare that to their .45 Blue Eye lens.

For handcam shots I use the .25 Black Eye which I think is too wide for general skydiving use.

You'll find them here www.waycool.com.au and you can order them online.

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

I use a kenko .45 on my PC 109. I use it for 4 way and 8 way camera, tandems and outside freefly. Never had an issue with it. My next lens will be a slightly more expensive one though.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

As others have already stated you need to decide what you are going to use the lens for and buy the right product to match. If you want slimline like a WayCool then you are going to have to pay a little more.

As a starter this was the lens I started with and was recommended to me. Its not slimline, but it does a good job (depending on what you wish to use it for).

I still use this lens to good effect on my PC101.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IVG9/qid=1149608081/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_3_2/203-0039216-4498377

Also speak to your local camera guys as there will be a wealth of knowledge to be gained.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I am more into freeflying then RW so I just want to film shots where I am freeflying with others.

I dont want to be far away filming the jump like Im doing a solo !

It would be for more casual filming rather than serious professional filming.

AndyMan, what do you mean by "temporary line-on-electronics contact" ?