mattyblast

Long A/V cables through the wall?

What's up, video hot-shots?

A few questions for you (these don't relate to skydiving, but I consider you a good resource):

1. Electronics stores such as Best Buy are now selling USB audio/video cards. They have three RCA inputs on one side, and a USB jack on the other. Have any of you used this apparatus, and is it any good?

2. Can any of you recommend a good long A/V cable?

3. Do they make a wall plate (similar to what is used to allow cable TV viewers to route coax through the wall) that has female RCA jacks on both sides?

The reason I ask these questions is that I'm interested in loading some TV programs from my DVR and VCR to my computer.

TIA!
"DOOR!!!"

Um... yes you can certainly do that sort of thing...

depending on what you want to run through the walls you might try your local hardware store (like Home Depot or Lowes) you can get plates that have interchangble options... RCA cables, Coax, etc...

Then just install a plate on either side and connect each with a short cable on each side.

I hope this makes sense...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Not that one but I've got a USB1.1 based Capture device around here somewhere. Its not exactly new technology and you can pick them up on eBay fairly cheap. USB2 will do full frames and USB1.1 will do 320*240 at 30 frames or full frames at 15 frames a second.

If you want the 1.1 version I'll let mine go cheap, PM me for more info on it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Don't attempt to run your cables longer than 6 feet if you want to maintain quality. Use Svid if you need to run longer than 6 feet, and only run Svid (also known as "Y/C") less than 12 feet. If you need longer runs, you'll have to move to a much, much more expensive protocol to assure clean video and audio over longer runs. You're better off having a short vid cable and longer firewire cable.

I'd highly recommend the Canopus ADVC 50 or 150 (Another Damn Video Converter) or the ADS DV Bridge for converting analog to digital. Is your cam out analog only? If not, you'll want to use the Firewire output on your cam whenever possible. Significant difference in quality and it allows the image to remain in the digital domain.