yardhippie

More Premier help

Ok so another quesiton.
Im trying to get one of the audio tracks to fade out while another fades in.
I thought you could use the cross fade tool but I cant seem to make it work. I could use the sound option but then Id have to chop the file into tiny bits a drop the gain progressively (pain in the ass)
Sad thing is IVE DONE THIS BEFORE. Not 4 months ago. and I cant remember how.:(

any help would be appreciated. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Ok so another quesiton.
I thought you could use the cross fade tool but I cant seem to make it work. I could use the sound option but then Id have to chop the file into tiny bits a drop the gain progressively (pain in the ass)

I've always just done my soundtrack volume control with the level control on the sound track itself. If you expand the sound track, it's the red line in the middle. You can click on it and create control points and then adjust them to fade in/out.

Walt

I need help also.
I got a new pc duel core viiv with 2 gig
I have premier pro 7.0 & It does not work.
when I click the icon it starts to load & the right before it opens the pc reboots.
It works fine on my p4 machine.

My after effects works fine.

Has this happen to anyone?

I need help also.
I got a new pc duel core viiv with 2 gig
I have premier pro 7.0 & It does not work.
when I click the icon it starts to load & the right before it opens the pc reboots.
It works fine on my p4 machine.

My after effects works fine.

Has this happen to anyone?

I assume you are running Microsoft Windows XP.

That really sounds like a driver problem. Have you checked the Adobe website for compatibility issues?

edited to add:
And I mean compatibility with *all* hardware, including the motherboard, cpu, capture card, and anything else you are using that affects Premier.

Walt

Unlink the audio tracks from the video track
Place the audio tracks on different track lines
Expand the audio tracks
Insert a keyframe at the point you want to start the fade out on one track and at the point you want to fade in on the other track.
Insert a keyframe at the end of the fade out track and drag it to the bottom of the track bar.
Insert a keyframe at the beginning of the fade in track and drag it to the bottom of the track bar.

Hint - select the pen nib tool - put it at the point you want to insert a keyframe and ctrl click to insert a key frame. Point at the key frame indicator and click and drag to move it up and down.

Really don't understand why crossfade doesn't work, but the above method will let you control the fades.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Ok so another quesiton.

Ok basic things that you need to know about this.

There are at least 4 different ways that you can accomplish this. I will point out the two that I find work best.

Working with audio on the same audio track:

If you have to videos that have audio on audio track 1 and you are butting them up against eachother and want to crossfade you need to have "post-roll" and "pre-roll" (these aren't the right terms but they are get the idea across, i can't think of what it is really called) to use the crossfade transitions. Basically, what this means is. When you are doing an edit if the start of the video in your sequence is the start of the video file there is nothing to use for the crossfade time. The reason is because of the way video and audio transitions work so that they can preserve time continuity. Here is a quick diagram explaining that. * is footage that is being used, and X is footage that exists in the file but is not being used in the edit. | Is a break from one file to the next.

Crossfade works:

********XXXXX|XXXXX**************

Crossfade doens't work:

Basically you have to have some time at the end of and before the start of a file if you want to do a direct crossfade inline on one track.

Audio on different tracks, or really anywhere:

If you are working with an audio track in a sequence while you have that track selected you should bring up the edit effects window. This is just to the left of the main display in most versions of premier. If you have an audio track selected you should see a place where it says volume. You can expand that to see a decible level. Near the beginging of that line you should see a button that turns off and on keyframes. A keyframe is a point in time that signifys a change. What you are talking about, "breaking up the file" to make the audio transition from loud to soft is simplified by using keyframes. You need to make sure that they are turned on. Then, you go to where you would like the audio to start changing volume and insert a keyframe. You then go to the point in your sequence where you would like the audio to stop changing. Insert a keyframe at this point and then change the volume to be the desired "new" volume. This smooths and automates the level change.

There are faster ways to get at this in some versions of premier but this is the easiest to explain without me just showing you.

Lemme know if you can't get it still.

To do any of this you should not have to unlink the audio and video. You can change what track an audio and video part of a file is on w/o unlinking them. (At least you can in Premier pro 2, i think you can do that in a few other versions too!)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Im gonna go check some of these out in a min.
Actually what Im working with is skydiving vid (duh)
I have already unlinked the audio from the original (just wind noise) and using music in the audio tracks.
I place song on on the Audo 1 bar and song 2 on Audio 2 bar. so with out adjusting the volume each audio track play simutaneously and equal volumes.
What I am after is Audio 1 fading out as Audio 2 fades in.
Then I can adjust audio 2's position so that the beat/rythem closely matches each and is smoother.

i used the audio controls (just as you would a board with linear editing) and it took. i had tried this last night to no avail. I suppose thats just the joys of editing in a MS environment. :|

I have Premiere 6.5, and oddly, I can find no audio transitions. I have effects, but no transitions.:S
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865