The111

anybody using Canon 17-40mm f/4 L in freefall?

Looking at this lens for my XT. I know, I know... it's a zoom lens. But it's really not much more heavy or larger than a fixed lens. If anybody has any compelling reasons why I shouldn't buy it for skydiving, speak now or forever hold your peace. :)
I read a bunch of reviews on this site and they had great things to say about the lens. Nice thing about that site is they tested every reviewed lens on the XT.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

i've got that lens and do use it in freefall on occassion. it's a great kickaround lens on the ground, but i'll probably use it a lot more in freefall once i put it up top of a flattop...between the lens and hood, it is considerably larger than say the 20mm fixed with hood.

i love fixed lenses, but there really is no reason not to buy this particular lens...it's great glass. IMO, buy as many different lenses as your wallet can afford so you've always got the right tool for the job! :)

I had that lens for a couple years but never even considered jumping with it. Too large and too heavy IMO. But then I've not got a mammoth noggin like our friend Billo and am a wuss when it comes to mounting stuff on my head.

I tend to agree that the 10-22 would be a more suitable lens for skydiving, unless you want that extra reach for some cool shots. I actually just replaced my 17-40L with the new Sigma 17-70, which is still pretty heavy IMO but a bit smaller and lighter than the 17-40. And it's about 1/2 the cost.