ParaShoot

First results Nikon D200

Got my new D200 yesterday and made a few jumps with it today with different lenses (Nikkor 14, 16 and 20 mm). Like with my previous Kodak SLR Pro it's hard to find the best setting for sharpness. It's winter here with a lot less light though.

I'm very, very happy with the quality of the results. It's an awesome camera with extreme nice pictures. If I compare the pix from the D200 with the fullchip Kodak my first impression is that the pix from the D200 are more crispy.

Together with my new Sony HDV A1 I'm prepared for the future and the upcoming 400 way.

Henny
The Netherlands

great picture

what ISO?
wonder what you would get using the S setting
with ISO of 800
shutter at 600 or so

depth of field would be great but noisy??

nikon body d-200 less than $1200???

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

If you save the picture and right-click on it you can see for yourself in the properties which settings it was shot at (iso 200 in this case, also f/4.5 so a higher iso wouldn't help here).

yeaaaa but juce it up to iso 600/800 ish

looks colddddd

very nice pic

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Together with my new Sony HDV A1 I'm prepared for the future and the upcoming 400 way.

yep, one day I will be with you on that one...maybe the 500 or 600.
;)

jeff D-16906

Ya know, by that time the only ones who will -have- to wear parachutes will be the cameraflyers. The 600-way will be able to hold grips all the way down and land safely. :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

henny -
by now i'm guessing your D200 has made a few more freefall jumps... :)i'm curious to see of your experience with it. what i'm hung up on is if the D200 can handle a flash sync at higher speeds then the 1/250th that's listed in it's info... i've read (on nikonians.org) about an "FP" mode that lets it sync up faster to 1/8000th for use as a fill flash. apparently the newest SB-600 & SB-800 work with it.

the thing i'm thinking is that i really want to sync to at least 1/500th for freefall (eventually -no flames please) and use a fill flash to well... fill in the shadows. plus the D200 has a more robust and better positioned remote plug than what's on the D70s. so if the flash does handle the higher speed sync will as a fill flash it may win out over the D70s.

what do you think? or have you played with it yet?

matt

Hi Matt,

I'm just back from a trip to Australia to compete at their Ozzy Swoop Nationals. Because I was competitor I didn't make many pix myself. Therefore Wendy Smith could use my D200, 24-85 and SB800 for many ground shots. She used the flash but only at 250. The results are really nice.

Before down under I was in Thailand for The World Team 400 way world record. I'm getting spoiled with this camera because now I really start seeing the quality of the Nikon lenses. On my previous cameras they showed very good but with the higher resolution it becomes clear that many wide angle lenses are very sharp in the center but less at the corners. The DX lenses are sharper than the D lenses. I can probably replace my 14, 16, 18, 20 and 24 lenses by just the 12-24.

The more I use the D200 the more I start liking it. Compared with Bruno's 5D it looks a little less sharp but the lighting, colors and speed (5fps) are much better.

I'll post some pics in original size at my website with some links over here later.

So far I'm very happy with the toy.

** Know what you say but don't say all you know. **