DaGimp

Camera not working in freefall

so heres the deal. I have a digi rebel and it hasnt been working in freefall for the past few jumps. I have been using my tongue switch on the ground for shots before and after the jumps and it worked fine. It has been between 40-50 degrees on the ground here. Is it possible that my camera is a fair weather jumper too? Anyone seen this? any sugesstions? gona try a new tongue switch next weekend just in case.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

We had the same problem a few years back with the film version of the Rebel. The best we could come up with was that either the lens or the shutter was freezing shut.

We took some of those hand warmer packets, and put them on the camera somehow. Maybe we taped them on, maybe we had a wrap of some kind we put them under. Either way, I think it did the trick. It's hard for me to remember exactly, it was a few eyars back, and since them I have just stayed home when it gets that cold.

If you do try this, keep in mind that the aperture mechanism in the lens, and the shutter is in the body, so you may need mulitple packets.

I don't use your camera but i had the same problem. I changed the battery and it worked fine. Maybe your battery is on its way out. Just a thought.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

The only time my camera has gotten moody in freefall is when the contacts on the lens get gunked up over time. Clean them with a pencil eraser head and good to go. Might not work for ya, but just a suggestion.

When does the camera stop working? Can you still take pics inside the plane and on climbout, and then it won't take anymore until after opening?

ok.....

my battery was low....but not dead...i have since recharged it.

i am gona replace my tongue switch...and i do spit it out before pulling

i am using a CF card......scandisk ultra II 1GB

oh....and i can take pics on the ground before a jump...in the plane.....and under canpoy...and on the ground after a jump....just non in freefall...even right on exit....and i leave on my back

Had problems with my tongue switch doing that also,, went through 2 in 2 yrs,,

When was this? There was a run of bad switches two years ago. Our video crew went through every switch in our gear store, and kept getting 15 or 20 jumps before they went to shit.

The replacement switches they sent us were slightly different, and have been pretty much trouble free.

ok....in case anyone was wondering or if it happens to anyone else....i replaced my tongue switch and my camera worked perfectly. A guy at my DZ (BlueSBdeath) brought up a good point....he said that he had the same peoblem...and what it was, was that when you put your helemt on and tighten it up the cord may be getting pinched somewhere.....which is why it would work on the ground but not in freefall.

Reviving a very old thread. I have begun to encounter this very issue.
Are there any new insights into this problem? Is the switch still the most likely culprit? One of the guys at the dz thought my kit lens might be having an auto focus issue. I'm trying manual focus all day tomorrow to check.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin