aerialcameraman

Canon rebel xt

Yes the Rebel XT can shoot B&W. I'd Imagine that the original Rebel can also shoot in B&W as well.

Scott

edited to add that you can just as easily shoot in color then convert to B&W later. Much of the "filtering" can be done digitally as well.

I'm sure there could be some advantages to actually shooting in B&W...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Yes but you would probably be better served reading how to do it in the manual. It can be found on page 65... and can be downloaded here.

I believe that in order to do it you need to be in one of the creative zones (aka P, Tv, Av, M, A-DEP) and acually if you haven't read the manual... I recommend at least looking through it... and I'm an engineer that almost never reads instructions :D
Seriously though I learned so much about the capabilities of the camera...

Have fun... B|

right now i have the 300D the first canon rebel digital, not the 350D. I was wondering if you could let me know where and what area is discussed on that page in the XT manual. I have looked over the manual and can't find it.. So I'm thinking it either can't be done or I have not been looking in the right areas.

Through a brief scan of the 300D manual it appears as though you can't shoot B&W with the original Digital rebel.

I imagine it would be possible to shoot pictures in color (with various B&W filters, which in effect will change the brightness of certain colors... and then convert them to B&W with the software later...) [:/]

My only experience with the 300D was at work and didn't really get the chance to explore the posibilities... :S

I hope this helps...

Scott

first you´ll need to turn over to P/TV/AV/M or A-DEP

then you press "menu" move one to your right,then ALL the way down theres a button calledparameters,inside there the B/W function is..

As said before in this tread,shoot in coullors then remove the coullors after wards to a copy its easy...

You can take away collours to a pic,but you cant add them,there fore its more easy to shoot in collurs and then fix thouse you want in B/W

the above is taken from 350d but should be simmilar on 300d

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

You can take away collours to a pic,but you cant add them,there fore its more easy to shoot in collurs and then fix thouse you want in B/W

the above is taken from 350d but should be simmilar on 300d

Actually if you record a RAW image (something most probably don't want to do...) you can still get a color image out of a B&W one. :P

I only shoot in RAW,converting them into 16bit TIFF files they take as much as 50mb EACH.
Using 350d i still get 5 shoots before it need to buffer...
I use a Lexar 1gb III profesional card for faster reading.

Shooting a picture in RAW is like shooting a Analough cam as you can edit the pic whith out too much quallity loss,rember JPEG is a compressed image.
I can only recomend to shoot in RAW unless you need to take really really many shots whith in short time..
Most cam flyers use a cam eye or similar,setting up the cam corectly(focus)should mean that you get most of the good shots and dont need to take stills all the time all way down..

and no,shooting a RAW in B/W will mean you cant convert it into coullors,as far as i just tryed;-)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

and no,shooting a RAW in B/W will mean you cant convert it into coullors,as far as i just tryed;-)

I think you have misunderstood something about what RAW really is.

Since the sensor is a colour sensor, when shooting B&W jpegs, what is actually happening is the camera is shooting in colour, then converting to B&W after the image has been captured, the same as you would do if you converted a colour photo to B&W on your computer. The only difference is it is done inside the camera.

RAW is as close as you can get to the raw data coming from the sensor. Other than the analog to digital conversion, there is not much done to the data (that's the whole point of RAW: data is not thrown away by the postprocessing in the camera, so it is available to you for postprocessing on your computer). Since the camera has a colour sensor, a RAW file contains colour information. There is, in fact, no such thing as a B&W RAW - if you are shooting RAW and want B&W, you must do the conversion to B&W while postprocessing on your computer.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I imagine it would be possible to shoot pictures in color (with various B&W filters, which in effect will change the brightness of certain colors... and then convert them to B&W with the software later...)

You don't even need the filters, since this can be done on the computer as well. The XT/350, 20D, etc, which can do B&W allow you to select B&W filters from the menu - no physical filters required. Less stuff to carry, more cash in your wallet. :)

I think you have misunderstood something about what RAW really is.

Since the sensor is a colour sensor, when shooting B&W jpegs, what is actually happening is the camera is shooting in colour, then converting to B&W after the image has been captured, the same as you would do if you converted a colour photo to B&W on your computer. The only difference is it is done inside the camera.

RAW is as close as you can get to the raw data coming from the sensor. Other than the analog to digital conversion, there is not much done to the data (that's the whole point of RAW: data is not thrown away by the postprocessing in the camera, so it is available to you for postprocessing on your computer). Since the camera has a colour sensor, a RAW file contains colour information. There is, in fact, no such thing as a B&W RAW - if you are shooting RAW and want B&W, you must do the conversion to B&W while postprocessing on your computer.

Yes, This is what I was refering to... I sometimes Capture both a RAW and jpg image(If the camera parameters are set to B&W (capturing a B&W JPG image) a RAW image can still be converted to a color image using software.) and I have yet to shoot Digital Stills anywhere besides on the ground. :P

Scott

I imagine it would be possible to shoot pictures in color (with various B&W filters, which in effect will change the brightness of certain colors... and then convert them to B&W with the software later...)

You don't even need the filters, since this can be done on the computer as well. The XT/350, 20D, etc, which can do B&W allow you to select B&W filters from the menu - no physical filters required. Less stuff to carry, more cash in your wallet. :)

True with the XT this is possible but w/the 300D it isn't and I'd Imagine that the cost of a few filters would be less then the cost of a new XT... :D and they would have the same effect as the camera software is likely to have. :)

True with the XT this is possible but w/the 300D it isn't and I'd Imagine that the cost of a few filters would be less then the cost of a new XT... :D and they would have the same effect as the camera software is likely to have. :)

My point is that since the XT/20D is doing it in software, you can do the same thing in software on the computer when you convert to B&W. You can get the same effect as any B&W filter that you want without having to buy a single one.

My point is that since the XT/20D is doing it in software, you can do the same thing in software on the computer when you convert to B&W. You can get the same effect as any B&W filter that you want without having to buy a single one.

Yes this is true...