TaylorC

Getting into camera flying

I filmed a 2 way and a 3 way 2 days ago for my very first time. I asked them if i could and they said yes. I was wondering if that way is the best way of getting into camera flying or is there a better way? Are there any sites out there that give tips on how to get the perfect angles and that type of stuff?

I was wondering if that way is the best way of getting into camera flying or is there a better way? Are there any sites out there that give tips on how to get the perfect angles and that type of stuff?

The best way to get into cameraflying is to look up someone at your dz that is an experienced cameraflyer, and have him be your coach.
Starting to film 2 and 3 ways is definately the right approach, you want to start small.. there are a lot of things that come into play when you start putting a camera on your head.

With regards to "perfect angles" there are different angles for different purposes..
If you are filming competition 4 way, you need to be steep above the formation and make sure all the grips are in sight the whole time.
If you are filming stuff just for fun, or to build a stock video library.. all bets are off, since you are doing creative stuff.. there is no perfect angle.

First of all.. don't be in a rush.. the safety recommendation for camera flying is 200 jumps minimum, you're a little ahead there..

And next: start reading this

and this weekend, start sitting down with an experienced cameraflyer at your dz.. and ask lots of questions..

Be safe...

yeah i read the sticky and it didn't answer all the questions i had. I did check out that the link at the bottom of the page which told me a lot of what i was wondeirng. The problem with my DZ is that all the camera flyers left this year to do some stupid bullshit politics and i am left with no true camera flyers >:( so i am left with coming here for advice.

i was just trying to do simple camera stuff with people who have thousands of jumps. Gonna be down at the canadian invasion 13th-22nd if anyone can give me some advice. I look like harry potter so i won't be hard to miss :P

i was just trying to do simple camera stuff with people who have thousands of jumps. Gonna be down at the canadian invasion 13th-22nd if anyone can give me some advice. I look like harry potter so i won't be hard to miss :P

If you're going to be in Eloy you will have the most experienced cameraflyers in the industry right there for you.
Talk to Michael McGowan, Greg Gasson, Jason Peters, Brent Finley, the Arizona Airspeed camera guys.. I can just keep going here with names but i would still be typing at 5 pm tonight.
The resources available in Eloy are unbelievable, and I have found that all of them are really nice and willing to teach / help out anyone that wants coaching.

Iwan