velvetjo

Nikon N80 - Cable Shutter Release Help?

I'm looking to add stills to my Optik, which currently has a Sony HC-40 side mounted in a d-Box. Being a cheap bastard, I'm looking at trying to use a Nikon N-80 that my wife already owns.

Actually mounting the N-80 seems pretty simple, since the stroboframe & Goldmember seem like good options for top mount. Shutter release is another matter.

There's no electronic shutter release available for this model, so I'm considering a manual cable shutter release for it. Have any of you old-school types used these? Can they be rigged as mouth switches, or would I have to route it down one of my sleeves?

Also, if I mounted the N-80 with a Goldmember in an upright orientation, I'd have to bend the cable 180 degrees to get it back to the helmet and secured - this seems to have both snag implications and the minimum bend radius could be an issue.

Any help would be great - I don't want to pursue this too far if it's a lost cause.

Lance

A canon rebel 2000 that you can put a bite switch on can be found for like $150. Then you can get an electronic switch and not have crazy cables running down your arms or into your helmet.

Seems easier to me.

There are so many people getting rid of the cameras if you ask around due to the digital craze. I was gonna get one then said screw it and sprung for a XT.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fast, I'm kinda leaning that way - I agree that a used 35mm Rebel is a good solution.

Just wondered if there was something out there I didn't know about cable releases. Too bad, since the N80 shoots pretty nice photos on the ground.[:/]

I see an XT in my future at some point too. Both DZ's I jump at are using film right now anyhow, so going digital isn't a major factor yet. Sure would be a fun toy though! :)
Thanks,

Lance

I have not used a manual cable shutter release, but if I can remember it is a spring loaded cable that fires the camera.

It would be doable, but when you start bending that cable around corners and into your helmet it will increase the presure needed to fire the shutter and will be a bitch if using with your mouth.

Canon Rebels are fantastic film cameras and I would recommend the rebel 2000.

Good luck, its alot of fun taking photos but I ask myself all the time why the hell I want to strap all of that shit to my head.
Dale

two time New Zealand gumboot throwing champ.

I have that same camera (actually, its my wifes...) and I do have an assortment of cable releases.... but I would never in my life ever imagine jumping it.

Come on! Skydiving is dangerous enough when you don't have a camera bolted to your head, and you're thinking about how to run a thick metal cable through your jumpsuit? Use tools appropriate for the job. Cable releases for SLR's are not a good choice.

I've got a perfectly good Canon Rebel 2000 SLR I'd be willing to sell you cheap, if you're interested send me a PM. It's a much more appropraite choice.

I'm sure there's good electronic Nikon cameras out there too, but I made the switch to Canon so I don't know what's available.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.