gun986

Solo Mounting Side D box

Depends on what you want to do. Some jumpers mount their sidemounts with a slight angle upwards, some mount the d-box to put the lens on eye level.

Personally I have my d-box setup on eye-level, but that is good for the kind of camera flying I do. No paid videos, just camera on my head for fun. With that said I don't use a site, no need to, the camera captures what I look at, assuming I look with my head and not just my eyes.

A word of caution: mockup your d-box a couple of times to make sure you've got everything right where you want it, then double check your markings on your helmet for the drilling...its pretty hard to un-drill a hole in a helmet.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

but without someone helping to make sure that it is infact on eye level

Do you own a laser pointer? A little tape and a laser pointer lined up with your lens does wonders in that regard.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had to elongate the holes on my helmet to get my camera to "look" where I wanted it. I was to up ward pointing when I got it.
Ive found that for onlevel, inside work you may want it to look just below the eye level if you using anything numerically higher than a .45 lens.

to get it where I wanted I mounted it up, put the helmet on, and tried to find the most natural position for my head/neck/eyes to be in and recorded (noting what I was looking at w/ my eyes), then I reviewed the tape and adjusted as needed.

Good Luck!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Yeah. Get the longest AV cable you can find. You may have to use the Sony AV cable, with an adapter to a standard RCA cable to get one long enough.

Now take masking tape, and make an X across your TV screen. You can go corner to corner on the frame so the tape doesn't stick to the glass. Plug the camera in to the TV, and turn it to camera mode.

Now, when you point the camera at the screen, just line up the X's, and thats where you need to adjust your sight, or goggle dot to .

It sounds a little funny, but you'll see how it works once it's all set up.

Now, when you point the camera at the screen, just line up the X's, and thats where you need to adjust your sight, or goggle dot to .

Note to add here: Just make sure you are as -far- away from the tv screen as you can be. The farther away, the less margin of error. The closer:the greater.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Note to add here: Just make sure you are as -far- away from the tv screen as you can be. The farther away, the less margin of error. The closer:the greater.

I used a slightly modified version of this to set up my sight. I put my TV right underneath my window, and stood in front of it looking out the window, aiming at an object very far away (~100m). Without moving my head, I was able to move my eyes down and look at the TV, to verify where the camera/helmet was pointing.

Can't beat that, unless you have 100m of A/V cable and can see your TV from that far away. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I used a slightly modified version of this to set up my sight. I put my TV right underneath my window, and stood in front of it looking out the window, aiming at an object very far away (~100m). Without moving my head, I was able to move my eyes down and look at the TV, to verify where the camera/helmet was pointing.

Can't beat that, unless you have 100m of A/V cable and can see your TV from that far away. :D

That's a pretty nice idea, but my TV is 62" :D I'll have to see about scrounging up a little TV this weekend.

If you stand 10 ft away from your TV and aim your camera only slightly above it, you should still have no problem moving your eyes that far.

But then again, I guess it wouldn't be too easy to pick your 62" TV up and move it over to the window. Maybe that was your point... :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com