Shyandinnocent

Tamron 14ml for 350D

Hi
Have been offered a Tamron 14ml lens for not so much monies... Does anyone know this lens? Is it heavy? (have only little scrawny girly neck for camerajumping) Does anyone know if it has a lot of 'fisheye' disortion or if the picture is reasonably flat? Is to be used mostly for tandem vids, so if anyone has any good reasons pro or con, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks

It's never too late for a low turn!

All of the 14's (Tamron, Canon, Sigma) are really heavy.

Most freefliers here (N. California) jump a Sigma 15mm fisheye. It is small and light but it fisheyes badly and you can't use a filter.

I have seen tandem folks use the kit 18-55mm, but the quality sucks.

I just got the EF-S 10-22 and it is fantastic. _very clear_, light weight, and _no fisheye_. Goes for ~$650 US on ebay. The negs are price and it is an EF-S lens (it fits only the 350, 300, and 20D not full-frame sensor cameras). Sweet lens.

All of the 14's (Tamron, Canon, Sigma) are really heavy.

Most freefliers here (N. California) jump a Sigma 15mm fisheye. It is small and light but it fisheyes badly and you can't use a filter.

I have seen tandem folks use the kit 18-55mm, but the quality sucks.

***I just got the EF-S 10-22 and it is fantastic. _very clear_, light weight, and _no fisheye_. Goes for ~$650 US on ebay. The negs are price and it is an EF-S lens (it fits only the 350, 300, and 20D not full-frame sensor cameras). Sweet lens.

Any chance you could post a couple of examples from that lens?

The Sigma 15-30 weighs a lot (21.7 oz / 615g). This is heavy. Using a lighter body (350 vs 20D) helps, but 21.7 oz is a lot of weight. That is nearly as much as the Tamron 14mm (23.3oz).

Here are weights for the other lenses I mentioned: Sigma 15mm: 13oz, Canon 18-55mm: 6.7oz, Canon 10-22mm: 13.6 oz.

Generally,

1) a zoom tends not to be as sharp as a prime (fixed lens) - I think the Canon 10-22 is an exception to this

2) a zoom at its extreme focal length is not as sharp as the same lens in the middle of its range

3) off-brand lenses (Sigma, Tamron) tend not to be as sharp as the manufacturer's glass - Sigma 15mm fixed is exceptionally sharp but it has other issues (fisheye, no filter)

Thanks for your information. The weight issue worries me a little bit, but I must admit that I bought it anyway. The price was that good that I can sell it again without much or any loss if it turns out I cant use it.
I have been using the 18-55mm for tandem vids, but it sucks and I hate selling photos that I aren't 110% happy with. They don't know better half the time, but I do!
Do you recon the sharpness is an issue with this Tamron? (I haven't recieved it yet, so have had no opportunity to try it out...

Taa...

It's never too late for a low turn!

Glad to help. Ebay is a pretty good source for quality lenses, especially the ultra-wide angles. Rich amateurs buy them, then realize they have no use for something this wide. You can set up a screen to send you email when something comes up below a pre-set "buy it now" price.