BellyFlailer

Video Compression

Anyone know any good video compression tools. I'd like to compress my video and post online, or just burn cd's for my friends. Windows Media encoder 9 works well, but to compress one jump into one file, I have to compress them one at a time. I can select multiple videos and compress them into one file, but I really need a compression tool that lets me give it a job of multiple files, with multiple output files.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

If you want to burn stuff for your friends, look for the free TMPEG encoder.
It lets you add batch-jobs, so you can encode mulitple files to mpg1/mpg2 (VCD/SVCD/DVD)

Fow .wmv, adobe premiere has the free included Media Encoder, and there's also a lot of seperate options, like Media Cleaner etc.

Just use the search button and look for 'compression' and/of '.wmv' and you will probably find a lot of stuff already written about the subject here..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Anyone know any good video compression tools.

Define your terms.

How good, what end use and for what price?

I'm currently doing quite a bit of compression professionally for an internet company. You want better than MTV Overdrive; I can do that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Define your terms.
How good, what end use and for what price?

I think he already specified his use..."compress my video and post online, or just burn cd's for my friends"
So probably nothing beyond skydivingmovies.com and home-use..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think he already specified his use..."compress my video and post online, or just burn cd's for my friends"

Well, let's break it down . . .

compress my video and post online,

That -could- mean anyone of a number of things from a small animated jpg to a full screen streaming wmv file.

or just burn cd's for my friends

Again, this could mean quite a bit from wmv files to SVCD.

I recently compressed two seasons of shows for a television production company and they wanted 320x240 .flv files appropriate for the average DSL subscriber and they also wanted 640x480 wmv files for users that have 1.5kbps or better service.

An entire season (24 1/2 hour episodes) of the wmv files fits on 1 CD-Rom.
quade -

I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks, if the encoder let me do batch jobs and kept the quality good. My goal is to compress a 1 minute freefall to < 10 meg. If I reduce the quality a little and set Windows Media Encoder to 2 pass encoding (or whatever it's called), it ends up around 10 meg. It'd be great if I could make it do batch jobs. It takes about 10 minutes to compress a 1 minute video this way.
Don't you all hate to reduce the quality? I sure do, the video looks so good when uncompressed. I didn't fork over a grand for a Sony PC1000 just to reduce the video quality and make it look like crap.

This is off the subject but 1/2 of all skydivers can't track at all. I never realized this till I started shooting video. At first I was hanging out and filming people tracking, then I realized that there was always a few that didn't get very far away at all. I'm opening the second they turn to track from now on.

By the way, thanks everyone for all your input. I'll try some free trials of these software packages if available. I got one from downloads.com called Tsunami, I'm surprised they havn't renamed it. I'll try that out this week and post results for y'all. It's a free 2 week trial if any of you are interested.

So how small are any of you able to get a 1 minute video, and what quality price are you paying? I want to post them online and bandwidth will be an issue. 10 meg is ok for people with cable internet like me, but DSL will be quite a bit slower.

So how small are any of you able to get a 1 minute video, and what quality price are you paying?

42!
(Isn't that the ultimate answer to the ultimate question?!?)

Seriously, it all depends on what YOU want and -exactly- how it's going to be delivered.

If it's a downloadable video, you can go with a higher and variable bit rate.

If it is a streaming video, you HAVE to work within the bandwidth limitations of the user you're trying to deliver to which means you'll want to use a constant bit rate minus some overhead and error correction.

In both cases you might consider 2 pass compression, but if time is an issue, then maybe not as it usually takes WAY longer.

Do me a favor and take a look at the wmv files at the Jump For The Cause web site and tell me if this is close to the experience you're looking for.
quade -

errrr...
The new ( or old ) DivX for that matter are awesome compression tools if you are not a genious on encoding.
Easy to use and provides a very happy medium between compression and output quality
Plus the Codec is free so just put it on the CD you are sending your friend...

Not sure about batch jobs....

Yes that is the answer, thanks for all the fish.

I'd like a little better quality than that if possible, but maybe that's good enough. That video was 3 minutes long and 15 meg. So I could probably make a 1 minute 5 meg of that quality (great math skills ay?).

Most vid editing programs will let you export the 'frame'
You will need to deinterlace the footage......some vid editing programs will let you do this and then export the frame.
Otherwise most pic editing progs like Photoshop have have a deinterlace filter
Edit your picture and then simply save as a JPEG