inzite

2K Composites FF2 and RSL

Ok, so I'm planning on getting into video, and have already decided on a PC120 side mounted on an FF2 helmet. No still camera, no ring sight, just the helmet and the videocamera.

What would you suggest...jump with or without RSL? If it were any other camera configuration, I'd jump without RSL. However, the FF2 looks practically snagproof. I'm planning on jumping it with the RSL still engaged. Is this a bad idea? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

My main is a docile Scorpion 150 (i.e. no ground-hungry diving under linetwists), in a Mirage G3 container with a Tempo 150 reserve. I'm just going to be filming freefly and bellyfly dives with friends - no tandems or professional 4-way.

Anybody else out there jump camera with RSL?

--Will

I jumped my FF2 with my RSL attached. The lens of my camera didn't extend beyond the edge of the camera box so there was no snag point there. I have no sight. Overall my FF2 with DV camera set up was LESS of a snag risk than the full face helmet I used to wear.

Detaching my RSL because I was changing to a helmet with less of a snag risk than I had been jumping seemed retarded - so I didn't do it.

I now have a stills mount on top. I leave my RSL disconnected on all jumps. My FF2 with empty stills mount does pose a very slight snag risk. My FF2 with stills mounted on it poses a large snag risk. I chose to disconnect the RSL for all jumps so I wouldn't have to mess with it between jumps with and without stills camera.

This was my thinking based on my set up. You should form your own opinion based on your set up. Don't forget your lens is a potential snag point - unless it's inside that box you can get at it.

Good choice the FF2!

I might suggest that, once you get things set up and ready to jump, take a good, hard look at things and solicit the input of other video jumpers at your DZ, then make a decision. It's a tough call sometimes.

Myself, I've never had an RSL installed on my rigs, so I can't speak from experience. (My own pesonal choice, I don't try to influence people one way or the other.)

Easy Does It

Remember to think about 'all' eventualities flying a camera helmet
I fly an FF2 and my setup ( PC109 and Royal Lens ) means there is NO cam /lens gear outside of the sidemount box.
Even so....there is the quick release/sidemount box hinge/chincup/sidemount to snag on....
Imagine if the sidemount clip comes loose and you are hanging by the now open hinged sidemount.....

You are still jumping something that has snag 'potential' no matter how much less likely it is to happen on say an unprotected side mount system.

Understand that and make a choice accordingly