pope

Protecting/storing your footage

Anyone out there using a Fibre Optic RAID array to store/protect their footage? I'm looking in to buying one and need some advice.
So far, I've looked at Apple's XServe RAID and Medea's FCR2x.

The Medea sounds a bit better but only gives me about 5TB storage to XServe's 7TB.

It's near impossible for me to be running multiple projects with what I have now (Dual PowerMac G4 1.42 MDD, 2 GB RAM, 1.4 TB). Anyone who has any information or advice I'd appreciate it.
cheers,
pope

Fiber is a great high speed solution where you need max speed over distances where normal cables just don't work. Issues are that you need to get fiber switches which still are pricey ($700-1000 for a HBA) and then depending on what solution you go the price for the network card can be 3-10 times as much as a if you went for Gigabit.

Just from my server side knowledge you might be better off to go for a Gigabit solution since its back end costs will probally be less then going for a fiber solution. Not to mention that its a lot less setup involved on the networking side to go for gigabit.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

There are a few ways to go.

Unless you're doing some SERIOUS editing (full HDTV or SD with multiple workstations) and sharing of media, XServe, XSAN and XRAID are probably -way- more than you need.

If you're only talking about sharing data between 4 or fewer workstations and DV25 (Firewire), you may want to look into http://sancube.com/.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I know this don't pertain to you question ,but i was wondering what your opinion is on the new imac with a gig of ram and 2.0 processor for my dz video editing and photoshop stuff?
Thanks Lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Thanks for the hook on Sancube Paul.

It looks like a good intermediate solution at first glance...Although I'm not certain that 2 TB will be enough for me in the long run...

I like it though...reading on...
pope

Just out of curiosity, what's your application? What -are- you up to?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I know this don't pertain to you question ,but i was wondering what your opinion is on the new imac with a gig of ram and 2.0 processor for my dz video editing and photoshop stuff?
Thanks Lonnie

it depends on what you're doing--factory tandem video editing or banquet edit type stuff?
IMHO, I don't like the NLE for tandem videos. I have yet to see an NLE that is more efficient (has a DVD in the customer's hands) and is substantially better than a linear edit.

I think the iMac you're talking about sounds like it has plenty of power for what you are describing, assuming you're using iMovie and iDVD as opposed to FCP and DVDSP. I think that if you plan on getting into more involved edits, don't fuck around and just get a G5 desktop.

$0.02 USD

I use i-movie and photoshop cs on it currently ,but my old powerbook 667 with a gig of ram is just getting to be to slow for me .I just want to make sure i go to something a hell of alot faster .Been kicking around buying an i-mac 2.0 gig or possibly a powermac dual 2.7 or something big but thats a money thing .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................