The111

have you had a camera ruined by moisture?

I have been preparing to enter the world of freefall photography for some time now. However a few weeks ago I heard a freeflier complaining that his camera was ruined by moisture from a cloud. This worried me a bit. Being a wingsuit flyer, I have a special relationship with clouds... i.e. I like to be close to them when I see them. :) And even when it's not intentional, we all know sometime your body or canopy goes near or through a cloud.

Are ruined cameras from this type of thing a very common occurrence?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Mattt, somtimes a camera will have some problems with the moisture, especially here in Fl, I've personally had the moisture error message go off on mine a couple of times, I just took the battery off, opened it up and let it dry out for about 15-20 minutes and it was fine. I now own a "camera Condom" a cover that goes over my pc 100 to keep the moisture out so far it seems to be doing the job, I've had it a year or so.

I have jumped in Hawaii for over 5 years and did indeed have moisture issues. Nothing that ruined the camera but did take me off line for a couple of jumps to "hair dryer" it back into working condition.

A nice tight box, or camera condom is a plus, and so is not jumping in rain or clouds, but you know that.

I also keep one of the Pelican case dehydrater devices in my camera box when my camera is not in use (all week basically) and I think this helps too.

Good luck, stay safe.

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Are ruined cameras from this type of thing a very common occurrence?

I put a 'camera condom' on my PC109 as well, and haven't had any problems.

My still camera is another story though... about a month ago, we had a REALLY humid day after some rain, and accidentally went through about 4000' of wet cloud. I had a bunch of frames remaining, so I left the film in until the following weekend.

After getting it developed, it appears that the film actually dried and stuck together, and it stopped advancing for the final half of the roll....

Never heard of this, or had it happen before, but it's the only explanation I can come up with after looking at the negatives... Looks like I would have had some pretty cool shots if they weren't all on top of each other... :(

At least the first half of the roll turned out...
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Hey, at least your camera still works.

Which brings me to my next question... most of the replies seemed geared toward video cameras (condoms, tight boxes, etc). What about still cameras, that seem more exposed? Anybody have problems with those? Digital vs 35mm?

Thanks for the awesome replies, everybody!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com