Zoter

Mixed Video...

Ok so here's a new movie I edited with footage I shot ( mostly) with my first few months with my Sony pC109.
Bit of everything on it...

I'd like to hear what y'all think about the movie.....specifically the editing, shot and music selection/appropriateness.....

I'm tired of people kissing my ass telling me its 'cool'...thats nice but not very useful
Some constructive critique would be appreciated....so I can make future stuff even better....
what did you like....what didnt you like.....
All comments appreciated....and oh yeah....enjoy the movie :)
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2421

Most all of your video's kick ass... They were some of the most watched by me while I was on the submarine ... Keep it up :)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Very nice mate :)
All seemed very slow though, if i had to be super critical i'd say i would have liked some real time footage, but hey thats probably not what you were going for :)
However... who is the amazingly fit girl in the yellow top on the plane? Very cute ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Seen only a couple of the "slow" videos, ... Although I like the fast ones alot, the slow ones are just as cool... I think his video, along with another one I saw earlier that someone else made (trying to remember which one it was) are very "artistic" .... IMO they show a whole different side of the sport we love so much, in some kind of way :ph34r:
\
And I'm just talking out my :o

;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Some constructive critique would be appreciated....

All in all I'd say great job, you had a nice mix of transitions that compliment the video rather then detract. The music fits the mood and speed you set for the film. As for the lyrics being a match for skydiving that's debatable. I personally thought the song rocked but could see others finding it a poor match. By the way, what song did you use?

I really enjoy movies like yours where there is a good mix of dives and not all freeflying, RW, etc. In the future you might try playing around with the compression settings and see if you can't bump up the video quality. The compression settings are always a pain in the ass I know. I tend to bump down the audio quality to try and squeeze out a little more space for video. Thanks for posting the video for everyone to see. I get a lot of good ideas watching what everyone has done.

Thanks for the comments.......just what I needed...really
Friz...in terms of speed.....this was a deliberate attempt at a very 'chilled out' flick.....I have done a few wall to wall music banging vids and just wanted to experiment with something you could sit back with , crack a beer and relax too.

As for compression....its difficult.....uploading to the web always is going to take a toll and the whole debate on quality vs bandwidth is always a dilemma for those uploading to such sites......you want to make the movie accessable...but have to trade off some quality
Wish y'all could see my uncompressed version in surround sound.....its very different from what you can see on the web....[:/]

The track by the way is Destiny by Zero 7

thanks again for the critique...truly appreciated
anybody else have any comments...please chime in and add...

(By the way MO ....Hi....we are in the same business!!..I'm an EP person too.....arnt things coming around for us guys now over the last few years....EP is where everyone wants to be now !)

You've got to mix it up a bit, all the movies can't be pure adrenaline. A good "chill out" segment works great for breaking up the action. Below is a link to my last “chill out” segment, let me know what you think. I’ve tried to get some constructive criticism on the movies I’ve posted but get the usual… “It’s great” or “It sucks” without much more input. It’s always nice to hear why some one likes or dislikes your videos to help guide the next project.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1807

(Zoter- Funny thing about the EP thing... I'm really a conservation biologist by training. Things being what they are in the US at the moment I was having difficulty finding work in Ecology. I started looking around and found that with my electronics training from the Army and my Biology degree I am uniquely qualified to stick electrodes into cells... WHO KNEW!:P)

Very nice flick....very nice.
I personally didnt dig on the music....but it did fit the content.
The camera work is superb......no doubt about that.
Especially the swoop scenes at sunset.....they are very nice and the differing slow mo rate is a very nice touch combined with the very good angles you shot from to maximise the sunset in the background.

In my humble opinion...slight overuse of the crossfades...(ie a bit too often and just a tad too long on the crossfades).
The ripple effect works well....simply because its not abused...

The opening exit scenes and the swoop scenes got my attention....I drifted a little in between....but appreciate you were 'setting the scene' for the swooping finale....

Excellent stuff though (shooting and editing)...I'd be very happy to be able to shoot and edit something as nice as that...

Got any more stuff you'd like to share??

Thanks for the input, I've been trying to control my urge to over use the cross fade on my current stuff. It is hard mixing and matching how much or little to use fades. On a recent RW segment I threw in just about every fade effect I had just to see how people would react. Where I figured it would annoy the crap out of everyone I actually got a couple compliments for the effect :S On with the experimentation I guess. Oh, by the way I collect video from just about every videographer on the DZ. This really increases the amount of footage I have to work with and lets me be in the show too.

Constructive critique. Be aware: I have no formal training, but lots of opinions :P.

• Mad Dog credit is good.
  • I don't like the font used for the title. Feels like Wordart.
  • Cut from 0:34 feels abrupt because the centre of attention shifts up quickly.
  • Slow fade at 01:07 works really well
  • I would have held the the donut pic at 01:14 a smidgen longer. As it is, the judges would have to bust it ;-)
  • Cut at 01:54 should be earlier or later. Centre of interest moves right to person entering frame then immediately gets jerked left to sun. Given the slow pace you're aiming for, that feels too violent.
  • I really like the slo-mo break-off at 02:06
  • 03:10: pull the bloody slider down ;-)
  • In general the transitions feel a bit too fast for the pace of the music.
  • Love the sunset ending.

And yeah, Jo's damn fine B|.