Maxim

HC42 or PC350

Heyas,

Been looking around at camera's latley and narrowed my search down to these 2 i think. i can pick up a HC-42 for $1180AUS, Or a PC-350 for $1800 aus.

Would it be worth spending the extra money and getting the 350? or should i just get the HC-42

And if anyone has experianced any problems with the HC-42 please jump in.

Or if you have a suggestion to get something else also post.

Thanks in advance

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

The HC42 has a really tiny CCD, smaller than the HC40, I have the HC40 and it is not great in low light late sunset jumps, the HC42 will probably be worse. I'd recomment the HC90, it is a lot cheaper than the PC350 but appears to have the same optics,a huge CCD compared to the HC42.

The HC-42 has the exact same video quality as the PC-109

Gross 1,070,000 pixels, Camera Mode 690,000 (effective), Memory Mode 1,000,000 (effective)

isnt that quality fine?

The Hc-90 has 1/3" Interlace 3,310,000 pixels, Camera Mode 2,048,000 pixels (effective), Memory Mode 3,048,000 pixels (effective)

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

The HC-42 has the exact same video quality as the PC-109

Gross 1,070,000 pixels, Camera Mode 690,000 (effective), Memory Mode 1,000,000 (effective)

isnt that quality fine?

They are not actually the same optics even if the resolution is the same.
The PC109 (and HC40) have a 1/5 inch CCD.
The HC42 has a 1/5.5 inch CCD, this is smaller although it has the same resolution, being smaller means that it gets less light, so it does not work so well in low light. For jumping in direct sunlight this is no problem, but you will see a difference in end of day jumps or if it is cloudy.
As you said the HC90 (and PC350) have a 1/3 inch CCD, this is huge compared to the HV42, you will get good low light footage with this compared to the cameras with the smaller CCDs.

It all depends on what you are after, the HC42 is probably a fine camera for casual use, although if you were going to film tandems and sell your video I would not recommend it.

I was at an electronics store today so I got a chance to handle the HC90.
It has all the ports on the camera, so you wont need a docking station. It has issues with the location of the power, AV and lanc ports, they would be up against the helmet if you have the camera mounted on the left like most people. You will also have to remove the camera to charge it, a pain, although you will probably have a spare battery if you are doing tandems so this will not be a big issue.
It was light weight and as easy to use as the HC40.

I'd recommend this over the PC350 just for the price, however I don't know if anyone is making a mount for it, you would have to make one of your own. I would choose this if I had the money and motication to change camera now, it should work well for tandems.

The best video tandem I saw was from an HC85, not sure if this is still available. it has a huge lens, really good in low light, you should see if you can get one of these, but it is a top mount camera.

Other older cameras to consider second hand that I have seen produce good results, PC 105 was good with some reliability issue however, PC120/110s were exellent although a little heavy. PC9 was good, better than the HC40 in low light.

I guess I cant really make an exact recommendation for you because there are several factors that can change the choice. Going back to your original choice between the HC43 and PC350, the PC350 wins hands down for tandem work you will not regret buying it it is a great camcorder.

Bonehead has a box that fits the HC 90 great. It is the TRV 19, 22, 23 box. The ports are ok since there is an opening in the Dbox that actually makes them quite accessible.

Blue Skies!
Mary B
Sandillas Rodriguez
Muff Brother #2959 TF #77

Bonehead has a box that fits the HC 90 great. It is the TRV 19, 22, 23 box. The ports are ok since there is an opening in the Dbox that actually makes them quite accessible.

Excelent info, that probably makes it the best sony currently available for skydiving use when considering quality, ease of use and cost. I've seen it on-line at trustworthy store for $715.