Kid_Icarus

Buying an SLR

OK, so I'm sick of my digi point and shoot. 5mp, decent for what it is, but too slow start up, slow shutter, blah blah blah... I wan't a SLR, Canon perferrably. NOthing Fancy, don't need lots of bells and whistles. Just a solid camera, good lens. It's not for skydiving, so it doesn't have to have a specific set up. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!

He's talking digital, all Canon's DSLR's have a remote.

For cheap, find a 300D, after that, better camera's so more expensive: 350D, 10D, 20D, then the pro camera's. There's also 2 older camera's the D30 and D60.

For fast power up, get a 10D/20D.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Any of the canon rebel line will do, There is an older rebel out there that doesn't have a remot input, you don't want that one. Other than that I think you'll be happy with them.

Ditto: What he said!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

I'll probably be crucified for this post on such a canon-centric board, but unless you're moving up to a professional body (i.e. 20d), the nikons are the better cameras. The D70 is far superior to the digital rebel in tone, saturation, compression, and advanced shooting features. I know that the D70 doesn't have a remote switch, which is the ONLY thing I haven't loved about mine, but the D70s comes out soon and it will have a remote. And if you're not really looking to skydive with it, you won't need the remote anyway. The D70 will be dropping in price with the D70s coming out (and it comes with a better lens than the Canon anyway).

And, in general, Nikon wide angle lenses are better than Canon wide angle lenses.

I think that even the Canon butt-kissers (myself included) know that there are tradeoffs between the two systems. Nikon did indeed one-up Canon with the D70.

I am a Canon guy because freefall photography is only a very small part of what I want to do with a camera. For most of the rest, I think Canon is a better system. If I was concentrating on freefall, landscape, and photojournalism at the time that I picked a system, I would probably have picked Nikon. As it was, I was concentrating on sports and portraiture.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com