frenchcloud

powerbook for video editing

ok, i know posts have already discussed that topic but, i have a question.
i want a laptop for video editing+dvd writing on the go for tandems.
does it really make a big difference if i take a 12'' screen instead of 15''?
and a different question for mac users,
i have a few dvds i personally made but i erased the imovie projects. can i, from the dvds i wrote with idvd, duplicate it? and how?
thank you

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

i have a few dvds i personally made but i erased the imovie projects. can i, from the dvds i wrote with idvd, duplicate it? and how?
thank you

I've only used a Powerbook with the 12" screen and it is very nice but with my middle aged eyes I'd like more screen real estate.

As far as duplicating your DVDs.....very easy to do. Put the disc in the drive. Start Disk Utility (found in your applications/utilities folder). Select the disc from the list of drives in the left hand side of the disk Utility window. Click on the Create New Image button. From the drop down boxes, select DVD/CD master and no encryption. Have it make the image and save it to the desktop or wherever you want.

After it has created the image, take the DVD out of the drive, and double click on the disk image you just created...which will have a .cdr extension...and mount it. Select it in Disk Utility and click on the burn icon. It will prompt you to put a blank dvd in your drive. Put the blank dvd in the drive, click on OK...and it will burn you a new copy of your dvd. If you keep the .cdr image you can make a new DVD whenever you want.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Just wanted to add that there is one BIG difference between the 12 inch powerbook and the 15 inch PB. The 15 inch is widescreen and makes a big difference when editing with Final Cut Pro. I don't think you gain much as far as relative size of the icons and stuff, you just get more screen space.

Hi FC.
I use a Pbook 12 inch screen.
I find it is okay to edit on,but it is a biot of a squash on the screen if you are using FCP to edit. THis is due to a number of screens you can open such as canvas, timeline, effects etc.
If you are using iMovie then you wont have any probs.

As far as recreating an iMovie project in the time I have been using imovie I have not found away to open the vid up as an imovie project, but you can always reimport the video into imovie, drop it onto the timeline and then re-edit or cut the film and save as a imovie project once again.
If this helps great if not pm me and maybe I can expand on it more for you:)

www.myspace.com/durtymac

thank you

Why don't you go buy a cheap(er) 19" DVI compatible CRT monitor and keep it at the DZ? Then you can run DUAL screen from the 12" G4PB and have all the realestate you need for editing!
good luck
pope