Synapse

VHS to digital capture

Ok I'm about fed up with looking around on my own trying to find some hardware to capture VHS output into a digital format with any decent quality, so I'm asking for help. ;) I've got several hours of VHS movies (tunnel time mostly) that I'd like to get into a digital format so that I can make some DVDs. So far I have tried two devices in an attempt to get some good quality on this:
1) hauppauge's WinTV PVR-250 - internal PCI card with TV tuner
2) Pinnacle Systems external USB 2.0 capture card

Both suck. The quality is shotty at best, but worse with the Pinnacle USB device than with the internal card. I even bought a new VCR to make sure that the signal I'm inputting is a good clean one, but that didn't help at all. Composite and standard TV out have both been used with little to no difference between the two. I can play these VHS tapes on the TV and they look great, but as soon as I capture them, the quality goes south and lines appear in everything. Just FYI, I'm capturing the video using the "DVD Standard Play" profile in the Pinnacle software suite.

Basically, I just want a card that will reproduce the quality I get to the TV screen without costing a complete fortune. Anyone got any suggestions?

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Easiest way I found is to allow a digital video camera be the connection between your VCR and computer. It does the conversion from analogue to digital.

S-video (or RCA if you can't S-link) from VCR to camcorder. Firewire (i-link) from camcorder to computer.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I record off the VHS to the camera, using RCA jacks to a stereo mini plug on my PC-9, then unplug from the VHS machine, and firewire into the PC. I can't do it at the same time,, if I try it's just black screen and audio on the PC. Maybe your camera type makes a differance. But this works for me without any loss of quality...

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Thanks much for the info guys, looks like I'll be hitting up Best Buy this afternoon to "borrow" a camera from them or a while. :ph34r:

-syn

Ok, so I've got one more question...
Anyone got a suggestion for a good (and small) MiniDV camera? I'm a fan of Sony, so getting one of those would be nice. Any suggestions on a particular model? Also, if there is some other brand that would be a better choice I'm up for that as well.

I'm clay in your videographer hands. :P

-syn

I have converted old VHS tapes through my video camera and it works fine but is time consuming.

The easiest / quickest way I have found to back up all my old VHS tapes is by using a combo DVD burner VHS unit I purchased a couple months ago. Simply put in the blank DVD and source VHS tape and record from tape to DVD.
You can even add from different tapes and edit out junk you dont want. Until you finalize the disc you can keep adding to it. It even has fire wire input on front.
then if you want to copy on PC for later editing etc you put DVD into PC and use software to rip to HDD.

I bought a Toshiba D-VR3 from B&H photo for $350

specs here http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=d-vr3

There are other Manufactures out there to choose from.

Good luck

John Maggio

Thanks for the info man. I've got a Sony HC42 on the way from butterflyphoto.com in hopes that it will do the job (and I really wanted a new toy). I still may, umm, "borrow" one of those VHS DVDR combo deals from a local store like best buy or wal-mart though. It sounds quite a bit less time consuming and I've got several hours of stuff to convert.

-syn