ChasingBlueSky

What film camera to get if...

....I already have a Canon 300D.

I found a nice course here in town that will teach me alot about nature photography in black and white and how to do my own darkroom work. However, they only teach this course on traditional film.

I'm sure you all understand that I am looking for something from Canon that will be compatible in terms of lens, filter, etc. Will any of the Canon Rebel line work? Is there one that you would recommend over another?

If you want to learn more about photography I would recommend that you get a manual body or do all your shooting in manual mode.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

If you want to learn more about photography I would recommend that you get a manual body or do all your shooting in manual mode.

That is the idea of the class I want to take.

Unless you need a fast motor drive, or an uber auto-focus mechanism, I'd go cheap.

In fact, I did go cheap. Last summer I picked up a Canon Rebel G II for under $100. I picked it up for tandem work, knowing the DZ would likely go digital this year.

It's got everything I need, including a slow but steady motor drive, 5 point auto-focus, and a short-range pop-up flash. It shares lenses with the Digital Rebel.

Unlike more expensive cameras with lots of toys (like a fast motor drive), this one will make you think about the shots you want to take.

To explain where I'm coming from, this is the 4th SLR I've ever bough, and the first to have anything more complex then an electric light meter. I've typically been a manual purist. It's the user, not the camera that gets good shots.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Any camera is a good camera if used with in its means....

I currently have a Canon 10D and the Canon 1Ds Mark II.

the biggest thing to to come from all photography is get good glass....you should spend more money on lenses than you do on the body.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Note that if you have EF-S lenses, no Canon film body will be compatible. EF-S mount lenses currently fit ONLY the 300D and 20D.

The best bargains in the Canon line are a used Elan II (same controls as the 7 recommended above but better low light AF offset by older - read slower and less accurate - AF in general) and the EOS 5 (tons of professional features in a prosumer film camera, but the main dial has a repuation for breaking).

For serious photography, you will really want Mirror Lock Up, which I do not believe it is possible to get with the Rebel line. Also, the bodies with a quick control dial on the back make it MUCH easier to use manual exposure modes than it is on my Rebel Ti. A Rebel T2 MAY have separate shutter speed and aperture controls, but I am not sure.

KEH.com has used Elan 7's and II's for under $200.

Brent
Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Nikon F series are by far my favorite film based bodies. Amazing cameras - you'll find alot of professional photographers use this particular body line. IMHO Nikon lens optics are very nice as well...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Nikon F series are by far my favorite film based bodies. Amazing cameras - you'll find alot of professional photographers use this particular body line. IMHO Nikon lens optics are very nice as well...

I'm a huge Nikon fan as well. I have an F100, N90, but use my old manual focus N2000 for skydiving. I think the original poster already has a Canon, soooo....

Personally, I'd go cheap on the camera body and spend money on a good prime lens(es). I'm not familiar with Canon's line up, so I can't offer specific advice. Just think about what features you need/want while skydiving.

I thought about picking up a second N90 to jump with, but why? Just so I can turn off the autofocus and put it in manual mode? :S No thanks.

The ONLY thing I wish my N2000 could do is bracket (for shooting chromes)... but even an N90 won't do that without a DataBack. [:/]

Jeff

ps- if you're doing tandems, you may want AF for shots on the ground.
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I'm a big fan of Nikon, too.

For years I proudly carried a Nikkormat FTN, I finally broke down and "upgraded" to a Nikon FM10. I was so happy that all my lenses fit! My wife proudly uses a Nikon N6006 body (when she's not shooting her Leica), which I snubbed because it was audacious enough to be auto-focus.

When I started expressing interest in jumping camera, she offered her N6006, but I didn't like the idea of being forced to use a mechanical shutter release.

Ultimately, I bit the bullet and jumped onto the Canon wagon, I really didn't think the affordable Nikon bodies were suitable for jumping.

I think ChasingBlueSky would be smart to stick with Canon for economic reasons - he's already got a Digital Rebel, and being split on two different platforms sucks.

From there, he needs to decide which of the Canon bodies is appropriate, and the answer to that question only depends on his needs.

Bo, if you're looking for a very innexpensive SLR's, I have a very old "original" Canon Rebel I'd give you for a beer, just be aware it's not usable for jumping because it won't take a remote shutter release. It does take any Canon EF lens, which pretty much means any lens except the one that came with your Digital Rebel.

I also have my old Nikon FM10, which is a very basic mechanical SLR, but obviously isn't Canon. The Nikon is in near mint condition, the Canon is in good shape.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.