Pawl

Any snag problems with top mounted on Optik ?

Hi
I'm in the process of getting a still camera top mounted on an Optik. Has anyone had strength or snag problems with this set up ? (Due to the over lap on either side.) I really don't want to have to buy another helmet with a broader base (Illusion) If so any tips on strong and safe top mounting on the Optik ? DV is mounted on the side.
"Africa is not for sissies"

I have an Optik with a TRV-38 and D-Box mounted on the top. I have maybe 70 jumps with it, and I have never snagged it on anything. I do have 2 issues with it though. The first is the camera is about 4" higher than the top of my head...so clearance issues are a concern in the plane. We have a C-182, and I am always bumping it on the roof of the craft. Getting out the door takes some caution as you have to make sure you are lower than before.

The other issue I have is spotting the aircraft. When I wear the helmet, I have to open the window, and stick my head all the way out in order to see. That is because my lens is a few inches forward...which prevents me from just being able to peek out the window. I think a still camera, mounted directly in the center of the top shouldn't have this problem.
But so far...no problems on anything. Just make sure you are stable before deployment. I have had a couple hard openings and my neck has cracked a few times that I was done after a couple of jumps for the day.

SD

You're asking the wrong question.

Don't ask "has anybody had a problem with this setup?". That question is meaningless since every setup is going to be slightly different, so just because it works for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Instead, look at your proposed setup and ask yourself "is there any way this could snag up?" Consider all things, like ring-sites, chin-cups, stil-mounts, video mounts, etc.

Every setup I've ever seen has snag points. Find yours. Then do your best to minimize them.

Post pics.

I'm not that familiar with the Optik so I can't comment specifically.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hey,

Two of us at our dz have Optiks with still mounts on top. Best is position camera, (we both have Pentax MZ series SLR cams), mount it in the centre so that your lens doesn't extend, (if at all), beyond the front. You have to feel what is comfortable for your neck. We have had zero snag problems as yet and my buddy has at least 800 jumps with his. With a correct, symmetrical body position on opening and if you chest strap isn't overly tight, you shouldn't have a problem aside from the occasional riser strike against the DV D-box. Just be careful moving around in aircraft and on climb out.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

I once heard Gus Wing talk about a single Microline test. Take a 18'' - 24" length of microline, with an end in each hand, and drag it slowly across helmet surfaces multiple times from various angles. If it snags on anything, that is a potential snag point that needs to be addressed. If you can't snag it on anything, no matter how hard you try, you have a clean .

Gaffers tape works wonders. There are options available if you would like to keep a neat clean look.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!