Shivon

Door exit positions for video of AFF

I'd be interested to hear opinions on preferred exit positions for filming AFF (out of small Cesnas - 182 for example, right hand 'up-swinging' door). My normal position for two instructors is to hang off the back of the door (two hands), with my right foot on the strut (letting the first jump master and student step over my foot on the strut as they go for their foot holds).

For AFF jumps with a single instructor, (and I am assuming the terminology is the same for you US guys), I take the spot normally occupied by Jumpmaster 1 (outside float) and go off poised with the student.

Advantage of hanging off the door is that I find it a very natural position to get up and over the formation on the hill if required, and I am too far away from (and behind) the student for them to grab my handles etc. Advantage of taking the JM1 slot is that I can gently rest my hand on the student's rig or shoulder so that I can easily time the exit (when the key's aren't always clear [our students key the exit]).

Keen to hear your thoughts on what works for you and why you like it.

Shivon

out of a 182 I like to climbout first, you have to climb way up and out on the strut and hang using your right foot for balance on the side of the step.
once your out there ....hope that the jms and student have a nice climbout and timely exit. then leave in a sit/back, flop to your belly as they drift down the hill. when done properly you will not affect the students jump on a poor exit. (you also risk going low, quick.) as a camera man for students of any kind tandems included, you are there to observe, not become part of their skydive, that can get ugly. if you are not comfortable leaving in a sitting positon you can certainly leave poised from the hanging position, just use your left foot on the step and leave on your belly. it is definately up to the instructors where you leave from and how they load the plane, they are in charge of the jump. hanging can also suck if you have a hard time holding on to the strut......I have even had to climb back in from there for a go around or a balk. practice the exit with your friends first until your comfortable.
stay safe,
JimOke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

This is a good way to exit but the down fall is you may mess with the student. If you exit and mess it up you will end up stilling all air from the student and he will fall on top of you. This creating more of a problem for the student then he already needs. The way I exit from a 182 or 206 would be to climb out first and have a rear float possition on the plane. But agian you may run into a problem, the student and instructors have to present the count big enough for you to see it so you can leave just before them. And if the student leaves early without a count you will have to be on your feet . There are advantages and disadvantages for each way you exit the smaller planes find a way that works for you and then go with it.

there is never a chance I will steal anyones air. I am 3-4 feet horizontal from the student if I leave first I will be lower but still horizontal from the jumpers if I leave late I will be above them on the hill But, still horizontal. the trick is to not slide towards them, above or underneath them at any time during the exit. it is just far easier to see the count from a strut hang. than a door hang in my opinion and you are physically farther from the student and his feet kicking you on a ready,GO count.
any interferance from a students poor count is the cameraguys problem....we only observe.
but, I guess what ever works for ya.
$0.02
stay safe,
jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

I like to hang from the strut with my back to the prop. My feet are on the front edge of the strut and I am FACE to FACE with the student. I leave at the same time as the student by just letting go of the strut and falling straight down. This makes for KILLER shots of the student during the exit and on the hill. I slowly transition off of my back into a sit then onto my belly. Timed properly I am never more than 4-6 feet away from the AFF and usually on level with them. It's been working real well for me lately.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer