SDB-02

Video Editing

Well lets see...I got my camera(sony pc-109), picked up some video editing software (Pinnacle Studio-version 9), down loaded some vid to my computer. so far, so good. Now I'm trying to edit my video and Im running into problems. When I click and drag a clip onto the board, a pop-up says "adding a non-standard frame rate (30.00fps)." The finished movie looks like it has a strobe affect.

I'm new at all this "tech" stuff, and I'm sure its something simple, but I cant get it right. Hopefully someone out there can walk me through this before I toss everything out the window.[:/]

Thanks-Doug

Footage on your computer will -always- look "different" than on a regular TV monitor.

Before tossing everything out . . . check to see what the actual output looks like when you go back out to tape.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I use Studio ver 9 on my PC (not for long cause my Powerbook is coming), but anyway it sounds like an issue with your settings, if you cannot figure it out Pinnacle has a pretty decent web site that will probley help. The only problems that I have had have been hardware related and were easily fixed with a few upgrades.

-----------------------------------------
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

a pop-up says "adding a non-standard frame rate (30.00fps)

I think the standard frame rate for NTSC should be 29.97 fps, and 30.00 fps for PAL. Maybe you started your project using PAL settings or maybe your using footage taken with a PAL camera within an NTSC project? Im not familiar with the software your using but you may need to choose NTSC or PAL when you start your project the first time. This could be your problem.

Skydive Radio

You are importing the DV footage over firewire correct?

No, USB streaming.

Footage on your computer will -always- look "different" than on a regular TV monitor.

I burned it on a disk...looks the same (strobe)

The camera came with software (picture package). With this you can burn a video to a VCD. Works fine. So its got to be something with the "Pinnacle Studio Settings" that I'm doing wrong. I'll just keep clicking away til I figure it out.

Thanks again-Doug

Definitly upgrade to firewire for increased performance, but you really need to check your capture settings. You said you were editing in Studio 9, but I'm unclear on what you are using to capture.

I'm far from a professional, but I have a TRV19 that I can capture from using either Firewire or USB. I'm going through a hub on the USB, which I know is 1.1. I have NO capture issues with either method. No dropped frames, no strobe effect, no stuttering.

I use Studio for the capturing in Firewire, but haven't tried it for captures with USB. I actually use the software that came packaged with the camera for that. As crappy as the software is, it ships with my Sony camera, and gets the job done. It's on the home computer, so I'm going by memory for the name. I think it is Imagemixer by Pixela.

Check your capture settings, and make sure they match NTSC standards.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Well lets see...I got my camera(sony pc-109), picked up some video editing software (Pinnacle Studio-version 9), down loaded some vid to my computer. so far, so good. Now I'm trying to edit my video and Im running into problems. When I click and drag a clip onto the board, a pop-up says "adding a non-standard frame rate (30.00fps)." The finished movie looks like it has a strobe affect.

I'm new at all this "tech" stuff, and I'm sure its something simple, but I cant get it right. Hopefully someone out there can walk me through this before I toss everything out the window.[:/]

Thanks-Doug

First of all when you you shoot DV film you capture 50 interlaced Frames per sec PAL and 60 iFPS NTSC.

The method by which you transfer the footage to you PC firewire / USB 1 or 2 will make no differnce to the Frame rate.

If you want your finished project to look good you want to render it at 24.9fps, this can usually be set when you create a new project. Also when you render the final project you need to apply a deinterlace filter, otherwise you will end up with the strobe effect you mention.

also check out www.videohelp.com

-Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

You know what your real problem is...Pinnacle Studio 9 sucks! :P I found it to be a real pain in the ass and downloaded Windows Movie Maker from the internet (free), its simple, functional, and has the Windows interface that most of us are familiar with.

Doesn't have alot of the bells and whistles of some other programs, but it's really easy to use.

You know what your real problem is...Pinnacle Studio 9 sucks!

If you would had said that to me last week, I would have agreed with you. But after playing with it a few nights, its pretty easy and a lot of fun.

OK, I know some other people are following this thread and trying to learn some stuff with me so heres another ? for you guys who know what the hell your talking about. First I should say "Thanks PhreeZone, Got my fire wire and it works like a champ."

First question- what is the difference (if any) between an MPEG and a MJPEG?

Second Q, whats the difference between VCD and S-VCD?

Third Q. If I'm going to burn my videos to VCD, I assume I should capture the video in the "Preview" format (less space on hard drive), but how should I copy it to disk? (low,med, hi)

Remember, there are no stupid questions...just stupid people:S