Tink1717

Photoshop help

OK, I'm trying to make a new image for my profile. I'm following the protocol for "save for web" but the image size will not go smaller than 24k. This is despite setting it for 9k. What am I doing wrong?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

post it as an attachment and someone will fix it

No doubt.

But for the sake of maybe helping someone learn as well...

Step1: Cut out only what you want seen in the image.
Step2: Create a new image, past that image
Step3: Resize the image to the appropiate size
Step4: Flatten image (layers)
Step5: Save as Jpg and set it as progressive with 3 scans, also set the image quality at 3 or 4, keep it around there. That'll give you decent detail but keep the file size down.

Feel free to post it and myself or someone else will fix it right up and I promise not to "photoshop" the picture into something funny.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What does that mean?

Never heard of that step either. What does that mean?

Ever since I switched to Mac and PS, as opposed to Windows and Corel, I feel totally lost.

Here is the original. Thanks.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

Sorry, I meant to say "paste" not "past" and layers...well, that can be a very complicated topic, but basically you work with different layers, like an onion. You can completely change one layer without touching another layer. To save as a Jpg you have to let PS do its thing or if you want more control you flatten the layers (layers menu, flatten image) and then save as.

You might wanna go to Barnes and Nobles with a pad and pen, grab one of those $50 start reading and taking notes. That's what I did when I started using PS about 8 years ago.:)

Thanks a lot. I really do appreciate your help.

Nothing like a new piece of software to make you feel like an idiot.

Once you understand layers, photoshop is WAY easier. I used to teach a photoshop class, and the best analogy I had was that layers are like transparencies used on a overhead projector. You can draw different objects on different transparencies, show one or the other or several at a time. move them and edit them individually. Once you flatten them though, it's like permanently gluing them together...
That won't make you an expert, but it did help a bunch of 13 yr olds.

and here's another crack at your avatar... just cause it takes like 2 minutes...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Don't feel like an idiot - some people claim Photoshop is one of the most ingenious applications ever built. It is expansive - so many things that one can learn. You can be a web developer or a darkroom old hat and make use of the app.

PS - just get a using pShop tutorial book and you'll be up and running in one or two weekends for sure. Fireworks is definately a nice and useful app, but I think Pshop is still better for ALL of your image manipulation needs... imho of couse...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

post it as an attachment and someone will fix it

No doubt.

But for the sake of maybe helping someone learn as well...

Step1: Cut out only what you want seen in the image.
Step2: Create a new image, past that image
Step3: Resize the image to the appropiate size
Step5: Save as Jpg and set it as progressive with 3 scans, also set the image quality at 3 or 4, keep it around there. That'll give you decent detail but keep the file size down.

Feel free to post it and myself or someone else will fix it right up and I promise not to "photoshop" the picture into something funny.:P

Just go to "Save for web". Make sure its the correct dimensions and set the quality to about 20 or 30 as a jpeg. That should make the image super small and still keep some good quality.

That should make the image super small and still keep some good quality.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That's one of the reasons why I posted the "long version" for those rare images that don't quite work right using the save for web feature.;)