shellm1

Jumping Camera- which gear?

Can anyone give me any advice on what kind of camera to buy for my first. I am looking to get into camera jumping ;) and dont really know where to start, I can ask my mates who jump camera, but thought first off I will get as much advice as I can from anyone one here! I dont have a very big budget and am only looking for video at the mo, stills can wait a while.
Advise on helmet/cutaway system/ camera would be good thanks!
Makes/models/cost etc..
tips!?

Any advice ( practical) is welcome!
thanks!
---------
"Life is an adventure, dare it"
Mother Teresa.

Hey Shell, you know there's a camera forum here, right?
Loads of good stuff there, on just about everything you need to know.
It would be useful if you had a rough budget, and an idea of what type of jumping (tandem, 4way, freefly etc) you will be doing, also how seriously you intend to take it.:)Check it out soon, Cark looks nice in winter.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

hey there, thanks for your reply.. u from the UK?
u jumped at cark?
yeah its v scenic.. bit like the sebastian of the uk! ;)
I noticed there was a video forum, but seemed to have to trawl thru loads of teckee chat to get anywhere, so though hey, I'll post my own!
Am hoping to just film 4way, wont be doing it to earn money, just to stay current and learn camera!
budget lets just say TBC!
thanks!!
---------
Mother Teresa.

I dont have a very big budget and am only looking for video at the mo, stills can wait a while.

Personally, I would advise you going the other way around. Get a still camera, learn how to use it, THEN start jumping with it, learn how to use it in the air, and THEN think about adding a video camera.
FWIW
mh

I dont have a very big budget and am only looking for video at the mo, stills can wait a while.

Personally, I would advise you going the other way around. Get a still camera, learn how to use it, THEN start jumping with it, learn how to use it in the air, and THEN think about adding a video camera.
FWIW
mh

Where as I differ from you and agree with the original poster.

I feel that putting a video camera on your head is less distracting than a still camera. You put the video camera on and still learn to fly it with your body skills already obtained prior. There is no thinking of "I got to get this shot", as with a still camera. The video camera just runs on its own. No clicking with a tongue switch at just the right moment to 'get the shot'.

My advice....get the video camera. Perfect -that- skill. Then, and only then add the distraction of a still camera.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

thanks for that, I agree. I think the camera is running anyway so I can still fly my body and not worry about getting something in frame for a still.

what camera would u recommend as a starter?
I think I am going to get a top mount as opposed to a side mount.. :|
---------
Mother Teresa.